Hi,

I was looking for some peat for re-potting next year, just browsing round the local garden centre and B+Q whist getting other bits and I couldn't find just peat? Peat with nothing added for extra growth etc etc. Would I be correct in thinking that CP's need just peat with nothing added or will anything do. I have perlite and sand and a good number of different peat free type of composts but where can I get just peat these days and is that what I really need?

Thanks

Si

Hi,

I was looking for some peat for re-potting next year, just browsing round the local garden centre and B+Q whist getting other bits and I couldn't find just peat? Peat with nothing added for extra growth etc etc. Would I be correct in thinking that CP's need just peat with nothing added or will anything do. I have perlite and sand and a good number of different peat free type of composts but where can I get just peat these days and is that what I really need?

Thanks

Si

Hi Si, yes bog standard moss peat (excuse the pun), more specifically is your only option. The vast majority of CP's will not tolerate any neutrients in their substrate, so avoid any moss peat with additives, it will kill your plants.

try & get sphagnum moss peat, as it usually doesnt have a load of extra crap in it.

Im in Ireland & B&Q dont sell ordinary moss peat on principal, because of the destruction of bogs. But saying that, they do sell peat based compost, confused??

Heres a few named varieties you could try & find in a garden centre near you?

Shamrock

Arthur Bowers

Moorland gold

I hope that is of some help.

regards Mark V

Hi, welcome to the forum. Pure (nothing added) Sphagnum moss peat is essential for most carnivorous plants. The larger garden centre and DIY store chains don't stock it anymore, as it's not environmentally friendly, though as Valo pointed out they are not so conscientious when it comes to peat based multipurpose. Not all peat is equal either and some growers have experienced problems with certain brands. Your most likely source of Sphagnum moss peat would be a local independent garden centre, it's not even worth visiting the large chains as they will not have any.

Some growers have started to use and have good results with Moorland Gold, which is a 'recovered' peat that has less environmental impact. It is available mail order but I believe that some outlets stock it, so it may be worth you contacting the company to see if there is anyone local to you.

The following posts are worth a read before buying peat:

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34410

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?s...c=38047&hl=

Edited by mobile

If I may add, pure peat moss usually stock the larger producers and greenhouses as it is the basic ingredient for the various soil mixes they make for their plants.

Usually available only in large packages. Smaller garden shops tend to sell peat with added nutrients, unsuitable for cp's

Edited by japetus

You need to look in independent garden centres.

It needs to say sphagnum moss peat on it, and they are usually from Ireland.

Only note of caution is with Westland. I would avoid it as they bulk it up with normal compost without saying on the packaging.

Thanks, I couldn't find any of the mentioned ones in the three Garden centres I went to at lunchtime so I picked up some Richmoor Dark Peat? I think this stuff is from Simonswood Moss Peat Workings in Lancashire. I just tested it's PH and it seems to be about 5.5 to 6, is that ok or still to high? White Moss Garden centre also had large bags of sphagnum moss, a lot of which on the insides of the bag was very green and alive.

Thanks

Si

Edited by 5hort5

I had problems that I attributed to a bag of "dark peat" a few years ago, I think its got a higher nutrient level than pure sphagnum peat. Maybe someone more in the know can confirm this.

You can order Moorland Gold online, its not cheap but it is lovely stuff, the nicest peat I've used.

http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/prod...products_id=494