Cephalotus seed germination

PurplePitchers

If the seeds are freshly harvested, you should be able to sow them immediately and skip cold stratification. Even so, Ceph seeds are VERY slow to germinate, 2-3 months is not uncommon. I like to sow my seed and cold stratify the entire pot for 6-8 weeks, then remove from the fridge and wait another 8-12 weeks for germination. It seems like forever, so don't lose hope & chuck the pot out - remember to write the sowing date your pot.

Good luck.

If the seeds are freshly harvested, you should be able to sow them immediately and skip cold stratification. Even so, Ceph seeds are VERY slow to germinate, 2-3 months is not uncommon. I like to sow my seed and cold stratify the entire pot for 6-8 weeks, then remove from the fridge and wait another 8-12 weeks for germination. It seems like forever, so don't lose hope & chuck the pot out - remember to write the sowing date your pot.

Good luck.

Will the seeds be ok in an unheated greenhouse? And then moved inside for winter.

Thanks

Hi,

I've ordered 20 ceph seeds that should be arriving in the next few days, how should I go about sowing them?

Should I put them in the fridge for a few months and then sow, or sow now?

Thanks

I generally plant them -- without stratification or scarification -- in a 50:50 mix of peat and sand and have never experienced a problem. The only times that I used GA3 on Cephalotus didn't appreciably increase the germination rate.

Good luck . . .

Firstly I have to say I am no expert. I did obtain some Ceph seed last year and grew them in different composts and the one that has been most successful was on Nortene New Zealand Sphagnum moss. There is one seedling on this material and it is doing quite well. One major attribute of NZ Sphagnum is that it does not encourage the growth of moss that would swamp small seedlings. I am going to leave the seedling on the NZ moss for another year and then scoop out the seedling in a ball of the moss and plant it up in the compost that is normally recommended for juvenile/ adult Cephs - something along the lines of one third Sphagnum peat, one third Perlite, one third coarse sand/grit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...
On 7/20/2021 at 12:57 AM, Ceph Rob said:

Hi 

What do Cephalotus seeds look like?

Dear Ceph Rob-san,

Konnichiwa!

P7060031.jpg.d375c3797dee4648135b0ea4a3055209.jpgP7070004.jpg.1e4a6d61e809c89aa842b730c347ded3.jpgP7070008.jpg.d2ade5dc0101924eca4cf32b72a7e425.jpg

Unlike Nepenthes, Cephalotus seeds are not protected by pod (6seeds /fl.) and may be contaminated with many dead pollen(s), bacteria or fungus.
Fresh seed husks may protect the interior from those contamination.
However I prefer to get rid of seed husks, but the purposes were just to improve TC work and germination (simultaneity).
I have just started sowing seeds from July 16th (this year's harvest).

Just a few days ago, Dr. Hasebe referred to a very interesting document. It's non gratis.
Such as:
Seed germination biology of the Albany pitcher plant, Cephalotus follicularis
For members like me who can't read this article, I'm trying to shoot. If I succeed in shooting, I will post the photos. Although you can see the photo in this article, if you google the title.
Please fingers crossed!

Kind regards from the Far East

Edit:
Dear Ceph Rob-san,
I'm not a member who attached an emoji to your post, btw.
You are a person who can say "I don't know", you are a bold and intelligent person. Google search does not always lead to the correct information.
You are the exact opposite of being pseudo-scientists/ pseudo-botanists who think they know everything.
You are so fortunate (location) that you will gain a wealth and deeper knowledge than most members (including me) of this forum. I encourage you to keep studying.
I believe you will soon be more knowledgeable about Cephalotus & other Aussie plants than someone.

Edited by PofW_Feathers