growing cephs in the uk

Guest carnivorous1123

Guest carnivorous1123

so i ahve decided i am going to purcahse a cephalotus follicularis and was wondering are there any growers on here that could give me tips during growing season and winter to keep the temperatures right? thanks - Liam

you'll get loads of different opinions on this subject as cephs can be very temperamental leading some people to employ techniques that are simply ridiculous, water wise i treat mine like vft's allowing the tray to dry between watering temperatures are best kept above freezing during winter (if your inexperienced ) but due to circumstance mine are kept in an unheated greenhouse all winter were temperatures drop to minus 6c and lower (my thermometer doesn't seem to drop any lower) alot of the top growth dies off but they come back stronger every year for me, avoid getting any water in the crown of the plant during winter as they will rot. if you keep them in full sun they will develop there colour (but avoid overheating the roots) but given shadier conditions they will remain green and produce alot larger pitchers (i'm sure the unscupulous would sell these on ebay as giants!)

I agree with Diva, all growers have their own particular methods and they will probably all be as good.

I keep mine in an unheated greenhouse all year round, I never use the tray method as they can rot easily and I find they produce much darker pitchers in the autumn winter while there is less light.

Good luck.

Fred

Since around June I have kept mine outside... only a cage around it to stop the jays and squirrels picking at it, in winter, when temperatures drop to less than 5 at night I will move them into the consevatory, I may try other things this year as I have an insurance package in the form of several leaf pullings :JC_cupidgirl:

Guest carnivorous1123

thanks- i keep my other cps in an unheated conservatorie during dormancy but i thought with cephs the temps couldnt drop below like 10 even during winter i might jsut keep the ceph with them then i was planning on just watering them so the peat is damp and keeping it damp nto wet as i have been told not to use a tray due to root rot.

I think the idea that Cephalotus are finicky or temperamental is more of a myth. I have had no problems growing them, both outside and indoors under florescent light. While they do seem to take a while to recover from shock, I haven't found them any harder to grow than other CP's. I have 1 outdoors growing with my Sarrs and Dionea (temperature hit 39C today) and others growing in my basement with my highland Nepenthes and Heliamphora. I have not found humidity to be a problem whatsoever.

This website will give you all the info you need-www.foxoles.dsl.pipex.com/index.html .I agree with other comments about how fussy Cephs are supposed to be, but truly they're not. A lot is said about repotting, and it causing shock which is supposed for the plant to take ages to get over. I think there's only two things to that-repot when the plant is in very slow growth or partly dormant i.e end of March, when repotting don't turn the plant upside down. Earlier on I repotted two of my rarer clones,I went against the rules in as much as I removed all old substrate from the roots (I wanted some root cuttings). So, a total repot-both plants are happy and now growing great,according to some that's not supposed to happen. I will say this (again) Cephs seem to do what they want,they die back whenever they want only to come back stronger,some years they flower sometimes they don't. I have more than twenty Cephs and no two plants seem to do the same thing, it's as if they're individuals. Once you get the hang of growing them,which isn't hard, you will fall in love with them, I never get sick of looking at them. I expect most of my Cephs to be looking at their best in about eight weeks(unless they decide to do otherwise). I'll post some nice pictures then :yes: .

Guest carnivorous1123
This website will give you all the info you need-www.foxoles.dsl.pipex.com/index.html .I agree with other comments about how fussy Cephs are supposed to be, but truly they're not. A lot is said about repotting, and it causing shock which is supposed for the plant to take ages to get over. I think there's only two things to that-repot when the plant is in very slow growth or partly dormant i.e end of March, when repotting don't turn the plant upside down. Earlier on I repotted two of my rarer clones,I went against the rules in as much as I removed all old substrate from the roots (I wanted some root cuttings). So, a total repot-both plants are happy and now growing great,according to some that's not supposed to happen. I will say this (again) Cephs seem to do what they want,they die back whenever they want only to come back stronger,some years they flower sometimes they don't. I have more than twenty Cephs and no two plants seem to do the same thing, it's as if they're individuals. Once you get the hang of growing them,which isn't hard, you will fall in love with them, I never get sick of looking at them. I expect most of my Cephs to be looking at their best in about eight weeks(unless they decide to do otherwise). I'll post some nice pictures then :wink: .

woah yeah please post some piccys!!! i would love to see them!!

Guest carnivorous1123

well what i recieved them in has to be very old as there is a very thick layer of blanket moss so i want to repot them asap what would be the best time? also if i did repot them ( and i want root cuttings) and removed all the medium off of the roots how shal i put it into a pot? make a hole with my finger in the middle and place the roots in?? or another more effective way? how do you do it- thanks :)

well what i recieved them in has to be very old as there is a very thick layer of blanket moss so i want to repot them asap what would be the best time? also if i did repot them ( and i want root cuttings) and removed all the medium off of the roots how shal i put it into a pot? make a hole with my finger in the middle and place the roots in?? or another more effective way? how do you do it- thanks :)

OK ,it's August now and most Cephs are in full swing regarding growth,so now is not the time for a thorough repot. When I say thorough repot, I mean as you say-cleaning the old substrate from the roots. This must be done when the plant is almost dormant(Cephs don't really go dormant,in Winter their growth slows right down,almost coming to a halt). The time to repot then is just before they start to come out of this resting period.I would go for the end of March. Don't turn the plant upside down when removing from its pot, to remove cut down either side of the pot with scissors, splay the pot and gently lift out. The new pot wants to be bigger ,deeper and wider. Your substrate wants to be mounded up in a dome shape above the rim of the pot,take something like a tablespoon and make a hole to offer the plant in,ease in the plant and gently compact the substrate around it. Make sure the substrate is damp to start with, when you've done the repot stand in about 1" of water.

Root cuttings-there obviously has to be enough to make cuttings,more than one. An adequate root would be about 3" long,take a piece 2" long you could cut this into three pieces.Have a pot ready with your usual Ceph mix, this wants to be quite moist, lay the root cuttings horizontaly and apart on the top,then cover with about 1/4"-3/8" of substrate.Stand in a tray of water and keep in a light place.You will normally see growth in about five weeks with this method ,this is how I have had success anyway.

If you want my advice, if it's healthy and not overcrowded then leave it alone. It is a common mistake for people to repot Cephalotus when they receive them because the soil doesn't 'look' right but this can often lead to more harm than good. Blanket moss will not do any harm. My largest Cephalotus was in the same pot for several seasons and the soil surface had a good covering of moss, I only repotted it the beginning of this season because the pitchers had filled the entire pot. My Hummer's Giant pot is developing a nice covering of moss and is actively growing. Why not post a picture of your Cephalotus on the forum for us to have a look.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...