Drosophyllum

Tim

I finally have a seedling, thanks to some seed Sean sent. It's about .5cm tall and germinated in half peat-perlite sitting in shallow water. I understand this one likes it dry, but my soil mixture coupled with the open nature of the greenhouse means that the pots dry out quickly. Given my conditions, would you guys let it stand in water, or water it from the top?

Thanks

I grow my plants on the double pot method, using a very large clay pot for the outer pot. It is hard to over-water with this method and my plants seem to thrive. This picture of my largest (and oldest) plant was taken about a month ago, this multi-crown monster now has four nice flower spikes on it :)

I only water the outer pot, the surface of the inner pot never gets damp. When I go away on holiday I stand in a shallow saucer of water, no problems yet after 2 1/2 years.

I definitely recommend double-potting.

Drosophyllum04a.jpg

Vic

That's an extremely impressive specimen, Vic. I'd love to grow this one, & hopefully will when I move into a flat with a very sunny window in the summer (to the horror of my girlfriend, I'm refusing to move into one with no such windows!). Good luck with your plant, Tim.

I hope you have better luck than me Tim. Every time I try to germinate Drosophyllum and Byblis lamellata the seedlings succumb to damping off or some other fungus. The seeds I gave you were extras I received from someone else. I thought it better to give a few others a go that may actually be able to get the plants to grow.

I wil try again in Spring. Hopefully you can get yours up and going Tim so that I can get some seed back to have another go.

Beautiful plants too Vic. Is that 2 plants in the single pot or a single plant with two growth points? I had heard that they produce a particular chemical that discourages other plants growing next to them. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Sean.

Hi Sean,

As far as know, these plants can be grown together without any problems. The seedlings I germinated in the winter are growing vigorously in a single pot.

Have you tried germinating the seeds outdoors in the spring when the temperatures are not too cold at night? The damp-off fungus does not attack any seedlings that I have outdoors. I suspect the fungus dislikes the low humidity during the day.

Hi Michael,

Good idea. I must try it in Spring. Just need to find some more seeds between now and then since I have given all my spare ones away.

I think I'll also try a much sandier mix. I think the mix I have used in my previous attempts has been too peaty. When it gets damp it takes too long to dry out.

Sean,

It is one large plant, with four growing points (only the two largest are clearly visible).

The story about this plant producing an inhibitory chemical is pure myth, I, and others, have observed Drosophyllum plants growing side by side in nature and they will do so in cultivation too.

Cheers

Vic

I have previously tried to grow Drosophyllum in peat/sand/perlite, but recently I thought I would try Peter d'Amato's mix of 1:1:1 perlite:sand:vermiculite. I have 1 young plant (germinated in water) growing in a 6" clay pot of that mix and it seems very happy. I water it every so often, depending on the weather, just around the edge of the pot from above. The mix is so open that there isn't any danger of overwatering, but I do wonder whether the plant might run a bit short of nutrients. However, it is catching a fair number of flies, so hopefully they will prove sufficient. I am actually surprised that it is growing so well - the longest leaves are probably around 4" now.

Giles