Inactive/dormant S. minor

hmbluck

Hello,

This is my first 'proper' post and although I have checked/searched the forum for an answer, I apologise if this has been covered elsewhere:

I currently have a large pot filled with seven Sarracenia minor plants that I grow outdoors in our Cambridgeshire garden. The pot spent the winter months in the garage (unheated and with a north-facing window) before being put outside in late March (although it was brought back inside for those nights when a sharp frost was forecast). Roll forward to May and still there was no sign of any new growth. June came and four of the plants started sprouting new growth. Early July and two more started putting up some new pitchers. The pitchers on all six plants are decidedly smaller than in previous years (4-5 inches tall and maybe a pencil's width). One plant hasn't done anything. It hasn't sent up any new growth, but nor has it died (in fact, last year's leaves look almost as good as they did last year!). So my questions are:

1. Have other UK growers experienced smaller than normal S. minor traps this year? and

2. Is my 'lazy' minor dying or is it just going to sit this year out and resume normal growth next year? If so, what causes a cessation in growth?

None of my other pitcher plants experienced any significantly delayed growth; in fact, the various flavas are doing better than in all previous years!

Any advice that can be offered will be gratefully received!

Howard

How long has it been outdoors? S. minor appreciates it warm and so if it's struggling outdoors I'd expect it to become weaker and weaker each season.

It will definitely be happier under glass.

Hi Alexis,

They've all been out since late March (subject to frost warnings) and fully outdoors since mid-April. I was hoping that the warmer weather of the past month or so would have got them all growing (we've been achieving mid-20sC virtually everyday, occasionally hitting 30C, with night-time temperatures rarely dipping below 15C). I did wonder whether it was overcrowding or a pest, but discounted these as none of the other plants appear affected (beyond smaller/less vigorous growth). Of course, it may be that I've lost this plant but the fact it's still in apparent good health (green, turgid leaves with little browning on last year's growth) does make me wonder...

Kind regards,

Howard

hey Howard, that is your name right? Im Dex from Chicago Il USA, and beleive it or not I am also experiencing the same with my S. Minor. Their pitchers are very small and weak early this year, so I fertilized it foliarly. And somehow just the last three weeks did it finally pitchered nicely, though slow, its producing lots of it. Try fertilizing but very weak dose though, and every two to three weeks...oh and lots of sun and flush with pure water after the second day from initial fertilization....

"Lifes a garden....dig it"...

Dexter

hey Howard, that is your name right? Im Dex from Chicago Il USA, and beleive it or not I am also experiencing the same with my S. Minor. Their pitchers are very small and weak early this year, so I fertilized it foliarly. And somehow just the last three weeks did it finally pitchered nicely, though slow, its producing lots of it. Try fertilizing but very weak dose though, and every two to three weeks...oh and lots of sun and flush with pure water after the second day from initial fertilization....

"Lifes a garden....dig it"...

Dexter

Hi Dexter,

I'm not sure how applying a weak foliar feed to the inactive plant would encourage it to start growing. Does an increase in nutrient levels trigger new growth? I don't know...

The other plants, although small, are getting plenty of what they need judging by the number of ants that have fallen to their doom!

Best wishes,

Howard