laueana x cyclosecta

jimfoxy

I was hoping for a red flower.. Maybe if the parent sequence were switched?

Hi Jim. It doesn't work like that as I understand it, unfortunately.

I have never seen the bright red flower of a laueana parent pass to a hybrid offspring; it always seems to end up some shade of purple/dark pink. My avatar photo is the only one I have had where it has not been a shade of purple (and that is an F2 hybrid).

Looking at other laueana x cyclosecta crosses made by others, I think they look pretty similar to this one.

I've read all the descriptions and seen the illustrations. I keep trying and nothing ever results in pods or seeds. I think I need someone come over and watch me do it and correct whatever I am doing wrong.

Edited by jimscott

Yes, please do.... and bring your camera and cheesecake and Beatles records and.... Pollen? I believe I have. I've torn enough flower petals apart to get at the pollen.

• 3 months later...

I once grew a clone of this hybrid. For quite some time I had its flower as my avatar.

Edit: Oops, the plant I had as my avatar was actually, Pinguicula laueana x Pinguicula emarginata, and not Pinguicula laueana x Pinguicula cyclosecta.

Edited by Joseph Clemens

Perhaps if Pinguicula 'Enigma' (with its lighter colored flower) were used in place of the typically lavender colored Pinguicula cyclosecta, the red color of Pinguicula laueana might pass to the F1 progeny.

Edited by Joseph Clemens