overwintering in zone 5 Chicago IL

dchasselblad74

Ive always heard of stories of how people were successful in growing sarracenias,vfts, and sundews in outdoor bogs. Here in the midwest, we have weeks of bitter cold. Can these plants really survive when heavily mulched? Has anyone from Chicago and northwards on all the way to Canada been trully successful in raising sarracenias completely outdoors. Please tell me cause Im worried a about my plants in my backyard bogs...

Edited by dchasselblad74

• 3 weeks later...

I'm far from experienced when it comes to bogs and dormancy as I just set up my first this summer. But I have been told that a more reliable way of getting them through the winter is to bring them inside either to the garage or a cold basement. That way they are protected from freezing but get the drop in temp and lighting that they need for dormancy. I'll be in zone 5 for the winter as well.

It also depends on the species you have since VFTs and most Sarrs see little to no snow throughout the year and temps are a lot warmer than what they can be in the midwest. Even with mulching it seems risky.

It can be done. A hobbyist in Connecticut (WildBill) does that every year.

I seen these guys from Black Jungle website make an outdoor bog and theyre in zone 5a like here in Chicago, and they said their plants come back every year....its promising, but also scary cause man the winters here can be brutal so Im thinking bout uprooting all the plants in my bog and following the fridge method, but instead of fridge(cause my wife is gonna kick my ass) I will put them in individual baggies in a huge target bought tupperware an place it in my enclosed but unheated back porch....

"Lifes a garden.....dig it"

DexFC(dchasselblad74)