Germinating VFT seeds

Hayden

Well, ive received my seeds all the way from America! Ive soaked my peat, got my trays ready and even mixed in about 40% perlite.

All I have to do now is put the slushy mix into my pots and wait for it to dry out alot!

My greenhouse (One of them cheap shelf things) is only measuring 20*c on my thermometer, would this be ok to germinate seeds. If not, how can I increase the warmth of my greenhouse?

Thanks, Hayden

p.s It is raining alot, so may heat up soon. But its not good to think this could continue, while im trying to germinate.

An added question - A current flytrap of mine has just been let outside (Ive been told a south facing window sill doesnt seem to be giving them enough sunlight) I bought one of them green, and thats going red in the right places. Its just one thats got an edge going bright red as it has closed and is starting to go black.

Ive seen pictures of viruses and theyre all like really red and zig zag, I have no variations to the leafs. So im happy its not a virus, but keeping it seperate to avoid devastation to my collection.

Bonus question (Sorry I cant be bothered to start a new thread, and would rather the useful helpers answer me in one!) How do you tell if a pitcher plant or sundew has a virus?

Thankyou very much everyone, for those in the UK, its worth leaving the buckets outside tonight and tomorrow!

I wouldnt worry too much about virus's - its not very common in vfts and unlikely if you only have a few. Havent really heard of virus's in pitcher plants or sundews - if they look ill its more likely something else like root rot (fungal infection) or pest related.

If your vft is going red then thats a good sign, some go redder than others though.....the trap may just be dying off naturally so dont dont worry. Or perhaos it caught something its having a hard time digesting. As long as the majoriuty look healthy it will be fine.

The weather should be fine now for germinating vfts, I wouldnt suggest trying to warm the greenhosue, the weather hereatleast has been coller the past few days and should be warmer again soon when the sun comes back out. just keep them damp but not too wet and somewhere wamr and sunny and providing the seed is fresh or has been stored well it should geminate ina few weeks. Did the seller say when the seeds were harvested?? Seeds should be available in the uk soon if not already, lots of mine are in flower now - no need to buy them and get them posted all the way from America!!

Thankyou LJ, the reason I bought from America was because im a dedicated member to the Flytrap care website, as theyve supported me right from the beginning. I just wanted to support the website as theyve got me through alot of problems!

The sender (Stephen) is a very expierienced flytrap grower, that im sure would store the seeds properly. Theyre currently in my fridge at 4*c.

But yes, in the future I will buy seeds from UK. Your sponsor Triffid Nurseries has caught my eye, and I may well get a large order from them this season or next.

For now ill concentrate on getting my current ones going, ive only really been interested in cp's for 6 months! Im quite happy with how far ive got already.

The one with the bright red dead bit was my first repotted plant, and im happy to say that its got about 5 bits of new growth already.

A suspected reason its that way is that I tipped alot of water over it to avoid root rot, whilst adding it to my normal schedule.

Ive now learnt to only water if when I press it bubbles and water dont come out!

Thankyou very much, Hayden

Ah well that kinda makes sense if you are trying to support the people on that forum. A decent forum from what I hear, sadly I just dont have the time to use too many forums - not enough hours in the day!

Triffid Nurseries is a good place to buy - just beware of their vft seeds - I do not agree that they label the seeds 'akai ryu' seeds / 'royal red' seeds etc - you cannot grow named clones from seed. They do have a note saying they are from crossing 2 pure bred parents but crossing 2 'akai ryu's' does not get you an 'akai ryu' - it may very well get you a nice red clone though but please do not label it 'akai ryu' - if anything label akai ryu x akai ryu. The guy who runs is is lovely but I really dont agree with how they sell their vft seeds - its very misleading and could easily lead to lots of fake plants circulating.

Try not to keep pressing the compost too much you'll end up compacting it - just looking or lightly pressing to feel the moisture content should do the trick - aim for damp and not too wet and you'll be fine!

Good luck with germinating your vft seeds, hope your other vft continues to grow well too :smile:

"The guy who runs it is lovely"

You are making me blush LJ!!!!

In order to further clarify our VFT seed situation, I have adopted your excellent suggestion and have ammended the website accordingly.

My intention was never to mislead - many apologies to anyone who feels they have been.

Kind Regards

Andy

Ah well that kinda makes sense if you are trying to support the people on that forum. A decent forum from what I hear, sadly I just dont have the time to use too many forums - not enough hours in the day!

Triffid Nurseries is a good place to buy - just beware of their vft seeds - I do not agree that they label the seeds 'akai ryu' seeds / 'royal red' seeds etc - you cannot grow named clones from seed. They do have a note saying they are from crossing 2 pure bred parents but crossing 2 'akai ryu's' does not get you an 'akai ryu' - it may very well get you a nice red clone though but please do not label it 'akai ryu' - if anything label akai ryu x akai ryu. The guy who runs is is lovely but I really dont agree with how they sell their vft seeds - its very misleading and could easily lead to lots of fake plants circulating.

Try not to keep pressing the compost too much you'll end up compacting it - just looking or lightly pressing to feel the moisture content should do the trick - aim for damp and not too wet and you'll be fine!

Good luck with germinating your vft seeds, hope your other vft continues to grow well too :smile:

Hello Andy, its brilliant to have you on the forum. I love your website and hoping to make an order pretty soon!

I was confused by this, because I read on an American website its not the way it works.

Glad to hear youve sorted it, knowing I have you to talk to on here makes me even more ready to go buy some from you!

Ill see how I get on with this bunch..

Thanks LJ for the good tips!

Hayden

Hi Andy

Well I've always found you lovely to deal with on email, I know many also agree with me that you're a great guy!! I was certainly pleased with the orders I've placed with you in the past too. I know you wouldnt have meant to mislead anyone and sure no-one feels that way but some of the newbies to the hobby might have got confused! I'm so pleased to hear you've taken my comments on board though, just trying to lessen the number of potentional fakes going round. I did think about emailing you about it but didnt want to seem rude!!

All the best,

Heather