Can anyone help identify this Sarra please?

I've had this lovely fellow growing in a concrete pot in the front garden for 2 years now. If he can survive last winter in the East Midlands, he can survive anything!

It said "sarracenia stevensii" on the ticket when I bought it, and the garden centre is still selling them under that name, so I've never questioned it until now. Images on Google etc show S.stevensii as looking completely different to this, and this looks more like S.flava.

The pitchers are about 30cm tall, and not looking very full this year, as I think the harsh winter killed a lot of fly eggs in our area.

Can anyone give me a definite idea of what this is?

cheers!

-Dave

sarra.jpg

Edited by lorisarvendu

simple answer, NO. its just another of the many unamed hybrids floating around, the plant they sell as "stevensii" is not the original anyway, it looks like its a flava X purp but we'll never know. it looks a nice plant anyway so enjoy it for what it is even if it doesn't do exactly what it says on the tin!

It seems to be the Dutch tissue cultured hybrid circulating under the the name of 'Cowboy'. Looks exactly like mine at least.

Ian

Thanks all. I just wondered if it was a known variety. My local garden centre does have some nice looking CPs, and I've managed to get a good few thriving in my bogs, but they seem to just label them with any old tat. The card for this one has a picture of the plant with "Sarracenia stevensii" on it, so they know what they're doing.

This one is a lovely plant, though, with a gorgeous mixture of colours. It's probably my favourite, and whatever they've crossed to produce it, they've made it hardy. I've got some others with ridiculous names like "S.tara", "S.x jedi", "S. wrigleyana" and "S. micke". I think they just make it up as they go along!

-Dave

Thanks all. I just wondered if it was a known variety. My local garden centre does have some nice looking CPs, and I've managed to get a good few thriving in my bogs, but they seem to just label them with any old tat. The card for this one has a picture of the plant with "Sarracenia stevensii" on it, so they know what they're doing.

This one is a lovely plant, though, with a gorgeous mixture of colours. It's probably my favourite, and whatever they've crossed to produce it, they've made it hardy. I've got some others with ridiculous names like "S.tara", "S.x jedi", "S. wrigleyana" and "S. micke". I think they just make it up as they go along!

-Dave

As you say it's probably a bit of a mongrel. What the hell,if it's hardy, looks good, and you enjoy the plant,it's done it's job.

Bardills by any chance? :sorcerer::suicide_fool-edit:

Can't resist buying something whenever I'm there.

Cheers

Spot on! I know what you mean. I have to restrain myself from rescuing some of the poorest examples. They've got some massive Nep alatas in there at the moment. You know the hothouse section through the doorway past the biscuits? Turn immediate right, they're just there next to the orchids. The pitchers are a good 8 inches long! :rolleyes:

They've also got some really small neps in tiny pots further along. Unfortunately I don't have anywhere to put them. :(

I've had this lovely fellow growing in a concrete pot in the front garden for 2 years now. If he can survive last winter in the East Midlands, he can survive anything!

It said "sarracenia stevensii" on the ticket when I bought it, and the garden centre is still selling them under that name, so I've never questioned it until now. Images on Google etc show S.stevensii as looking completely different to this, and this looks more like S.flava.

The pitchers are about 30cm tall, and not looking very full this year, as I think the harsh winter killed a lot of fly eggs in our area.

cheers!

-Dave

From the features that are obvious, I would guess a mix of Heavy-veined Flava and perhaps, Red-Throut Alata, with maybe a bit of Purpurea to give the wider mouth. But that is only a guess. I would not tag it as such. However, I think that you could tag as a Flava hybrid of unknown parentage.

Guest nudenut

cheers!

-Dave

sarra.jpg

gday dave ,

i live on the eastern seaboard of australia and have pretty much the same sarra.its a flava x .i will have a look tomorrow through my book and get you the exact cross. nudenut

Haven't got into neps yet. If they're reasonably priced maybe worth a try. Surprising how quickly the neglected sarracenias pick uo though after a bit of TLC.

Cheers,

£12.99. Dead easy to look after, so long as you have a bright south-facing window to hang them in to get the best out of them. Our house is a bit dark so mine doesn't do fantastic, but then again I've had it over 7 years so I must be doing something right. I've even propagated from it. Got it from the old Toton Co-op superstore just before it closed. Would love to buy one but absolutely nowhere to put it.

Will have a look at the neps next time I'm there.

Here's a pic of my garden centre bought sarras. There's a so-called "Tara", "Mieke", "Wrigleyana", "Stevensii" and an unnamed one which looks like an ordinary flava all doing pretty well, if I say so myself :suicide_fool-edit:

535nursery_cp.jpg

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

i have a red tube flava that didn't get much sun for a little while and the pitchers looked exactly like the ones on your plant, but only in the color department, i dont know what plant may give it the pitcher shape, but since sarracenia flava is quite variable (i had one that produced 20" pencil thin pitchers its whole life, but the pollen seems to be sterile so i havent been able to make new plants from seed) the plant could just be a variation of regular flava or to give it my best shot it might be [sarracenia (Flava x (flava x purpurea)] since the pitchers seem to have a little purpurea in them.

or it might be one of the hundreds of lost parentage cultivars and hybrids that circulate under assumed names.

good luck figuring it out!

very, very handsome plant.