Greetings from Cambridgeshire

hmbluck

Hello to my fellow carnivorous plant enthusiasts!

I'm new to the forum (obviously) but not so new to the world of carnivorous plants. My interest started some 20 years ago as a teenager with a small collection of plants that grew on my bedroom windowsill. University and frequent moves meant that my collection became neglected and broken-up such that I almost forgot about my childhood interest until about five years ago on a trip to Louisiana, where at a roadside, I spotted a clump of Sarracenia alata. The passion was re-ignited and since then I've become a modest collector of temperate carnivorous plants that I grow in our garden in large pots and a purpose-built bog garden/pond.

Currently my main interest is in hardy and semi-hardy butterworts, pitcher plants and sundews and the collection stands at around 40 plants from about 15 species with a view to increasing the number of new species over the summer. This year I've also ventured into propagation and have been pleasantly surprised with the results. Next year, and hopefully with the installation of a greenhouse, I plan to expand the collection to include some sub-tropical and tropical species.

I'm looking forward to learning from (and hopefully, at some point, adding to) the collective knowledge of the forum!

Best wishes,

Howard

Edited by hmbluck

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for the warm welcome!

Just browsing the forum pages over the last couple of days, I've been taken by the number of committed collectors there are 'on my doorstep', so to speak! Suddenly I don't feel so alone with my interest!

Best wishes,

Howard

Hello Howard, and welcome to the forum!

Hi Mike,

Could you let me know the date of your October open-day? I'm heading over to see Paul and Jackie Gardner (P&J Plants) next month but would be interested in seeing you and your plants if other commitments allow.

Kind regards,

Howard

Edited by hmbluck

Welcome to the forum, Howard! Mike can often take appointments at weekends I think, so no need to wait until the open day. Same can be said for most other sellers; Triffid Nurseries might not be too far away from you.

No Strawberry Fair in Cambridge this year so no Chris Crowe stand (Sarracenia Nurseries), unfortunately - usually he has a lovely display for sale (the main reason I go to Strawberry Fair other than the fresh doughnuts).

I'm just to the west of Cambridge and grow mainly Sarra and Mexican Pings in my greenhouse.

Welcome to the forum, Howard! Mike can often take appointments at weekends I think, so no need to wait until the open day. Same can be said for most other sellers; Triffid Nurseries might not be too far away from you.

No Strawberry Fair in Cambridge this year so no Chris Crowe stand (Sarracenia Nurseries), unfortunately - usually he has a lovely display for sale (the main reason I go to Strawberry Fair other than the fresh doughnuts).

I'm just to the west of Cambridge and grow mainly Sarra and Mexican Pings in my greenhouse.

Hello Jim, and thanks for the info. I too am just to the west of Cambridge (Huntingdon, actually) so not a million miles from you! I am aware of Triffid Nurseries as they are close to where my parents live. I've not been but I understand that it's a fairly new venture run by a chap that also owns a nearby restaurant. One of these trips home I'll pop in and check them out, it's just finding time as work usually means these visits are rather fleeting!

H.

I am aware of Triffid Nurseries as they are close to where my parents live. I've not been but I understand that it's a fairly new venture run by a chap that also owns a nearby restaurant.

Andy has been selling CPs for a good few years now but just recently moved to his current site. I haven't had a chance to visit yet but have bought some nice plants from him.