Sign in to follow this  
zeeland

Which nepenthes are good for the living room?

Hi,

I can never find a topic about this question.

Wich Nepenthes can i hold in the living room in the winter?

I have my plants now under a roof outside.

Many thanks

Jesse

I have a 5ft plus garden centre bought N. (x) maxima that spent last summer outside in the conservatory until november and this winter in a north facing room, It will grow slowly, when in a north facing room, but as the temperatures did drop to around 8º at one point so it's not really surpising.

As for other species I couldn't comment.

Edited by Stefano

I have a 5ft plus garden centre bought N. (x) maxima that spent last summer outside in the conservatory until november and this winter in a north facing room, It will grow slowly, when in a north facing room, but as the temperatures did drop to around 8º at one point so it's not really surpising.

Thanks for the reply

I have this Nepenthes now and they are growing good:

N. ventricosa alba

N.x ventrata

N. x hookeriana

N. sanguinea 'Black Beauty'

N. 'miranda'

Which can I grow too?

Edited by zeeland

Definitely N. x Gentle. Despite the name it's the most hardy nep I ever grown, especially in terms of low humidity tolerance.

I grow N. alata x khasiana, N. x ventrata and N maxima x veitchii as house plants and they have thrived for me for over 10 years. However I keep them in an east facing unheated room, not the living room.

N. ventricosa would probably do fine.

If the plants will have natural light only, it is likely they will stop pitchering over the winter.

Have you read the thread on windowsill neps in the FAQ section? Not all of those plants would do well outside in summer, but it will tell you which ones are most robust.

N. ventricosa would probably do fine.

If the plants will have natural light only, it is likely they will stop pitchering over the winter.

Have you read the thread on windowsill neps in the FAQ section? Not all of those plants would do well outside in summer, but it will tell you which ones are most robust.

Well Sam, my x Gentle is happily pitchering throughout the winter on the south-east facing windowsill :). Oh, and did I mention that it has central heating radiator right next to it? This hybrid is just bulletproof ;)

Well Sam, my x Gentle is happily pitchering throughout the winter on the south-east facing windowsill :). Oh, and did I mention that it has central heating radiator right next to it? This hybrid is just bulletproof ;)

Golly. Mine's on a west-facing windowsill and definitely stops pitchering in winter. But it's a great plant - as you say, bullet-proof, and attractive with it.

Most neps will do ok in a windowsill and i grow many that way. A lot depends on the temps in the room, whether you can grow lowlanders, growing near a radiator has never been much of an issue. Lack of light can be an issue in winter and lack of humidity will cause some species not to pitcher.

Growing outside is another issue, a lot depends on the local conditions, where i live, very little other than N.Gentle will do ok outside even in summer. Wind is a big issue, a certain humidity level in a still room may be ok, but outside with the wind blowing the same humidity will frazzle the plant or prevent it growing well as effective humidity is much lower (and outside UK temps are generally on the low side for neps).

Generally growing outside for me doesn't work. I get the best growth either in a windowsill, or a humidified & heated conservatory (think oversize terrarium), my greenhouse has temperature and humidity control issues for most of the year which need, and will get, sorted out.

Edited by manders

Most neps will do ok in a windowsill and i grow many that way. A lot depends on the temps in the room, whether you can grow lowlanders, growing near a radiator has never been much of an issue. Lack of light can be an issue in winter and lack of humidity will cause some species not to pitcher.

Growing outside is another issue, a lot depends on the local conditions, where i live, very little other than N.Gentle will do ok outside even in summer. Wind is a big issue, a certain humidity level in a still room may be ok, but outside with the wind blowing the same humidity will frazzle the plant or prevent it growing well as effective humidity is much lower (and outside UK temps are generally on the low side for neps).

Generally growing outside for me doesn't work. I get the best growth either in a windowsill, or a humidified & heated conservatory (think oversize terrarium), my greenhouse has temperature and humidity control issues for most of the year which need, and will get, sorted out.

Many thanks to all!

I have now a cutting of a n.xgentle in my terrarium and I am hoping for roots.

I am also thinking I am getting blind becouse I can't find the topic about windowsill neps in the faq.

Can somebody give me a link?

Jesse

Many thanks to all!

I have now a cutting of a n.xgentle in my terrarium and I am hoping for roots.

I am also thinking I am getting blind becouse I can't find the topic about windowsill neps in the faq.

Can somebody give me a link?

Jesse

Hi Jesse

Apologies - there used to be a sticky on windowsill growing, but it's disappeared. Have a look at this thread.

Out of interest, which garden centre did you buy your Maxima at? All the ones near me stock Ventrata only. Thanks.

I can't recommend N. 'Allardii' (maxima x veitchii) enough. Hardy and with gorgeous striped peristomes.

Good price & hardiness to beauty ratio :yes: