Sign in to follow this  
linuxman

Greenhouse shading

Hi,

I've recently returned to collecting CPs and this time procured a greenhouse for the purpose. A month or so ago finding the interior very hot and the sun very bright and fearing the plants would get scorched I installed some greenhouse shading I bought from B&Q. In people's experience is this really necessary or will the CPs thrive on the sunlight? I live in the East Midlands and am mostly growing sarracenias.

Many thanks,

Martin

Sarracenia don't need shade from the UK sun, but you can wilt them from very high temps so make sure that the greenhouse is well ventilated in hot weather , open door, plenty of roof vents etc

Sarracenia don't need shade from the UK sun, but you can wilt them from very high temps so make sure that the greenhouse is well ventilated in hot weather , open door, plenty of roof vents etc

Thanks Stephen. I had a feeling that was the case. I have an automatic roof vent and leave the door open when the weather's OK when at work. Think I'll remove the shading especially with the overcast skies we've been having this week.

Cheers,

Martin

I shade on the south roof side outside with a fine green plastic mesh (sold as g/h shading) - sarracenia seem fine ans still colour up well. This keeps the temperature from spiking up too high in the heat of mid-days in summer. Keeps low 40s max rather than 50 plus max (all degrees C).