Sarracenia ID please

Hostage

Hi all

The first picture is of a plant I bought from Marston Exotics in 1989 as I think S. flava 'Maxima'. I thought 'Maxima' was all green until I recently saw a s. flava 'Maxima' lightly veined form.

The highest pitcher this year and most years is around 50-55cm.

Is this S. flava 'Maxima' lightly veined form? Or is it S. flava lightly veined form? Or neither?

305sarracenia_flava.jpg

here is another Sarracenia I bought at the same time (labels went missing and thought I could remember what they were). I'm thinking it's either an alata or maybe S. rubra Jonesii?

895sarracenia.jpg

here is another flava, again not knowing the name. I love this one as the lid looks like a stetson. The colouration inside the tube and around the lip is stunning too.

131S._flava_stetson.jpg

102s._flava_stetson_inner.jpg

if anyone could help with some names, that would be fantastic

Derek

Edited by Hostage

S. flava var. maxima is the one that is all green. What you have is probably S. flava "Maxima", a named clone by Slack. The naming is easily confused.

Second one looks to me like it might be a cross between S. flava and S. alata.

Don't know about the last one; a flava of some kind, perhaps?

(There could be hidden heritage in any of them.)

Top one doesn't look like "Maxima". I'd just label it as flava var. flava.

Second is almost certainly alata x flava.

Third is interesting. What colour are the flowers?

The third hasn't flowered yet. It's strangely just appeared this year after dividing?

I'm pretty sure I ordered maxima, whether it be var Maxima or "Maxima"

And both of you are pretty sure it's alata x flava

I just want to know as I have loads of divisions of these and want to swap or sell them next year, but don't want to send out rogue names

cheers

derek

1) Have a look at: http://www.cpphotofinder.com/sarracenia-maxima-3024.html

Some photos look pretty close.

2) Selling on plants where you have had to guess the name is pretty immoral, really, unless you make the uncertainty clear to the buyer.

yes, I know, that's why I'm asking for names to be certain. If I can't be certain I'll sell them as unknown hybrid or unknown flava.

But after looking at the those photos, I'm sure it's "Maxima" all the pitchers there have the same characteristics as mine. So thanks for that.

And don't tell me about Marston, or PJ as it is now! Received a D. Binata 't' form that had multuple branches. And I'm not sure about my S. rubra Gulfensis.

I'll post photo's up when the pitchers have opened.

Thanks for your help! And if anyone has anything else to add, please do.

Derek