Sign in to follow this  
Andy 1973

Floppy Pitcher Lid

Hi

I recently bought a Flava var Maxima, N. Carolina (MK F91). The plant was posted to me bare rooted through the postal system about 5 weeks ago therefore it already had some pitcher growth which was distorted while being sent(as you would expect).

The pitcher grew quite happily to a nice size and looked like any other Flava pitcher expect for it had a kink near the bottom (see last pic), however today when I went into the greenhouse I noticed that the lid has flopped?

It has been a hot day and the greenhouse temp is a steady 35 degrees but the door has been open all day.

I know that some plants do have distorted lids but I am not sure if this plant is supposed to and it has been open for a week or so without flopping.

Does anyone have any ideas about what could have caused this?

4629215126_2504daabef_o.jpg

4628612769_dc1cb1bec6_o.jpg

4629215046_fc0bea89b7_o.jpg

Cheers

Two of mine have done the same this morning too.. One has perked up and the other is drying out and looks like the tip is dying.. I reckon it was too hot for them.. I've only just moved mine into a greenhouse and am expecting a few issues as they get used to being in there..

Yep, I'd also say it got too hot for it.

I see you are using one of those plastic greenhouses. I'm guessing it doesn't have any roof vents ? So even though the door was open, air can't really flow through as it does in a conventional GH - ie in the door, out the roof.

Thanks Everybody

Yep looks like it was a bit warm for it :smile: and by early evening it had recovered back to it's normal shape.

I have kept about 70 or so plants in the same greenhouse for a few years now (had to change the cover a few times) and I had not come across this before so I guess I panicked a bit. I have in the past tried to construct a vent in the cover but this tends to weaken the cover and it doesn't tend to last so I make sure that when it's hot the door is fully open.

Once again thanks for the info.

:shock: