Sign in to follow this  
TheIrOnMaN

Some Cuestion With D.Regia & D.Adelae

Greetings friends, I bought some Regia D. and D. Adelae, I would like to advise me what kind of mixed use, so start with a good start, mixing of substrate is doing well? I suppose to fit them in a place with little direct sun, with their advice and hope to maintain humidity, etc. ..

Best regards Ignacio D :to_become_senile:

I would mix sand & peat and have a layer of LFS on top. That's a decent universal mix.

Whatever you want for adelae. For regia I would go for mix of peat and sand, 50:50 or more sand. I don't see any reason to use sphagnum moss.

mm ok, I'll watch if I see any symptom bad, will retire, further questions as I can provide more moisture? the get in a covered tupperware? , Begins the summer and very hot and arid winds , seek him a place in the shade in the greenhouse that indirect light . thanks

Just as a note, I've tried growing my Regia 'Big Easy' in a mix recommended by Joseph Clemens (the one who published the cultivar and he told me:

"Those that I had best results with were in undrained quart-sized plastic pots. I put a two inch layer of pre-moistened shredded redwood bark...in the bottom of the pot and filled the remainder with a 50/50 mix of LFS/shredded redwood bark and topped with sprigs of living Sphagnum"

I used Cypress instead and kept everything else the same and had great results.

But, I also grow normal D. regia in peat:sand, and they do great too, so they evidently aren't very picky at all.

Here's a pic of the 'Big Easy' in its prime:

Regia_unfurling-hi.JPG

But regardless of the media choice, you should feed them as much as possible if you want to see the largest growth.

The leaves coil around even small portions of food

Regia_Big_Easy_curl-hi.JPG

Edited by droseraman

Undrained?

The leaves coil around even small portions of food

I tried growing D. regia many years ago as a teenager and failed, and having very limited space for growing CPs I've never tried again since.

But wow!!, I didn't realise D. regia coiled like that! With my limited space I often grow species that represent some 'extreme', and my D. capensis currently represents my token "fold over prey" specimin. So now I'm having to reassess! Your D. regia looks like a python strangling a pig... Fantastic! I think I'm going to have to give D. regia another try.

Cheers,

Tim

Anyone here have grown D.regia from seed? I have now some seedlings and would like to know how long they take to grow.

Of course, I am feeding them frequently.

yes I've grown to maturity from seed. Took quite a while, can't remember exactly (about 20 years since I last did it) but must have been about 4 years. I have produced loads of seed in recent years and now have some good sized plants about 2 years old, entering their 3rd season; the plants in sphagnum perlite mix are bigger than those in peat sand mix, generally I prefer equal parts Sphagnum and perlite, a Heliamphora mix really, in a big, light coloured pot to keep the roots cool. I find they are prone to root rot if the mix is too heavy, certainly in coolhouse conditions.

Haha, that is a nice analogy Tim!

I definitely think you should try this species again.

I tried growing D. regia many years ago as a teenager and failed, and having very limited space for growing CPs I've never tried again since.

But wow!!, I didn't realise D. regia coiled like that! With my limited space I often grow species that represent some 'extreme', and my D. capensis currently represents my token "fold over prey" specimin. So now I'm having to reassess! Your D. regia looks like a python strangling a pig... Fantastic! I think I'm going to have to give D. regia another try.

Cheers,

Tim

@Jim, I'm not sure if you were asking me or not, but I use the tray method for my D. regia since it makes watering so much easier. Others have great success top-watering. They seem pretty adaptable as long as they're fed frequently, given cool temperatures, and as much light as possible.

@gardenofeden- it's good to know that other growers are having good success with LFS and open mixes as well!

Edited by droseraman

I sentenced mine.... and a few others to this:

Picture007-13.jpg

Picture002-10.jpg

It either gets tough or dies!

Thanks for your reply Stephen. A little patience will be needed but the joy of watching them grow will be longer too :)

I am also currently using 1:1 perlite sphagnum mix, and they seem happy.

Adelae (for me) grows great in 50/50 peat/perlite or LFS. I can not comment on Regia as I have not grown it yet. My Adelae gets bright indirect sun or bright florescent light and are in water trays. They get fed once a month during the growing season (Spring-fall) VERY LIGHTLY with crushed tropical fish food. A very little amount on one or two leaves per plant.