Seedling Neps

Phil Green

Here we go again with part 2. Again all seed originals.

Which includes some 'mini' maximas for Sam.

N. x mira x lowii (CK) - with a TC mira behind it.

930HPIM5112rs.jpg

502HPIM5111rs.jpg

and another one, not long opened so should get darker ?

588HPIM5114rs.jpg

N. x Mira x inermis (CK)

929HPIM5118rs.jpg

N. spectabilis x mira (BE-3181)

162HPIM5086rs.jpg

Now a few different seedlings of N. gymnamphora - although I'm now wondering if they may be pectinata or similar ?

Most are just now starting to get some colout to them, although many have had good speckling on the inside for several pitchers. Pitchers are 5-8cm tall.

165HPIM5094rs.jpg

666HPIM5095rs.jpg

326HPIM5098rs.jpg

Now this next one I find interesting. It came from N. ramispina seed, but is entirely green (5cm pitcher) - except for a little speckling on the inside. Yet a smaller one (2.5cm pitcher) from the same seed pod is showing good colour. I know anything from Genting Highlands can be a hybrid - but I'd expect some colour on a ramispina hybrid. So maybe I just have a green ramispina - do they exist ?

224HPIM5105rs.jpg

It's brother/sister

995HPIM5107rs.jpg

N. maxima 'min' 1600masl. 5cm sq cells. They were held back by not being potted on soon enough.

293HPIM5138rws.jpg

656HPIM5140rs.jpg

N. maxima 'mini' Napu Valley - 5cm pots.

443HPIM5141rs.jpg

470HPIM5142rs.jpg

That's all folks.

Hope you enjoyed 'em.

Hi Phil

Thanks for the photos of the mini maximas. Mine are about the same size - not much to look at the moment but I can't wait to grow them out. Love the spec x mira too - very colourful.

I'm no expert, but I can't see gymnamphora or anything related in those green seedlings. Wonder what they could be?

Great looking seedlings! Growing nepenthes from seeds is really rewarding thing, but many space is needed... Most of mine seedgrown plants were very slowed due to living in really crowded pots in my terrarias, but now i have new growing space and i can grow more plants ;)

I want to show one of mine maximas "mini"- clone#1. I have some seedlings, most of them looks as Yours, but one is really interesting ;)

P1020338_[1024x768].JPG

Nice looking seedling sativ

christerb - I also hope they will stay small.

I'm no expert, but I can't see gymnamphora or anything related in those green seedlings. Wonder what they could be?

That sort of depends on who's classification you follow. Stewart has decided that the differences between gymnamphora, pectinata and xiphioides are too small to be seperate species, so they should all be considered the same species - gymnamphora. I don't know what the differences between them are supposed to be.

Does anyone know which species grow on Dieng Mountains, Wonosobo area [1100m], Central Java.

I wasn't too keen on these last year, when it seemed they would be plain green. But now they are starting to develop their colour, I'm getting quite fond of them and eagerly await each new pitcher.

Wow! That IS interesting. Does it get the same amount of light as the other seedlings? If it keeps the red colour when it gets bigger it will be quite something. Please do show some more photos as it grows up!

All plants are grown under 400W HPS.

For comparision- my other N.mini maximas [down left plant is clone 2, only one plant what surived ;)]

minimax_[1024x768].JPG

I have some gymanphoras from Dieng Mountains incoming too- also very late repotted, but finally ;) [only left part of photo- bigger pots] One of them is very fast grower- mayby also hybrid? We will see soon.... Unfortunatelly i don't know what oter plants grow there...

P1020424_[1024x768].JPG

Best Regards

For comparision- my other N.mini maximas [down left plant is clone 2, only one plant what surived ;)]

I haven't heard of different clones. Where did your seeds come from?

The ones I am growing (1600 m asl) came originally from the expedition to the Lake Poso area, as discussed in the ICPS journal. Must get my camera out soon ...

That were mine first nepenthes seeds and i'm really amazed how much they survived :D

I get it from LJ, this seeds weren't took by "official" expedition, and were from some different plants, so they were marked as clones 1,2 and 3 if i remember well, but i have only 2 first clones.

Sam, if you look at my mini maxima, you'll see there are the 1600masl & Napu Valley. Look closely at the label and you'll read clone 1 - I have 2 clones from that location. Seeds of mini maxima from Napu Valley have been offered at different times so the clones 1/2 etc are likely different on each occassion.

Basically, if you collect seeds from two plants, that is 2 clones. Although in this case they were supposed to be different looking clones.

Whilst they may not look anything like the parent. For my clones, the uppers are -

Clone 1, is fairly squat with a red peristome and heavy red blotches.

Clone 2 is more elongated and much greener. Green peristome and red speckling.

Both upper pitchers look to be about 4 inches long.

Edited by Phil Green

Aha, I get it. My seedlings came via François (Sockhom), with just the info that they were the mini version from 1600m asl.

Interesting that you can already tell the clones apart. Mine, to be honest, all look pretty similar, and I've yet to see any heavy colouring. I'm hoping that will change as they grow.

Looking very nice Phil!!

I really must check on my nep seedlings and my mini maximas too, think I'm only growing clone 1 though. They're seriously overcrowded and squashed together in small pots so growth has no doubt suffered, shame on me!! I also have some ramispina seedlings :)

Glad to see your plants are doing well Sativ. I think I lost all of my clone 2 so you did well to keep one of them.

Sam - I can't tell the clones apart at the moment. That was just my discription of the mothers from photo's - note I said uppers - mine haven't grown that fast :biggrin:

I've made a slight adjustment to my last post. Because the 1600masl aren't the 'lake poso' mini's, although they are briefly mentioned in the ICPS article. They came originally from longor, which will be who gave them to Francois.

LJ / sativ - that is very interesting about you both loosing most (all) of your clone 2's. I also lost all but 1 of my clone 2 as well :confused: I wonder if we could all have just been unlucky with the clone.

Hi Phil

Funny how we use the word 'clones' when we're talking about seed-grown plants!

Where have you seen photos of the intermediate/highland clone? The lowland types were illustrated in the ICPS journal, and on the Carnivorous Plants in the Tropics website, but I don't think I've seen the other one photographed.

Hi everybody,

I've made a slight adjustment to my last post. Because the 1600masl aren't the 'lake poso' mini's, although they are briefly mentioned in the ICPS article. They came originally from longor, which will be who gave them to Francois.

Sam, that's why I didn't call them or 'Lake Poso' when I handed them to you.

Nice seedlings, everybody!

(Phil, I still have to write you a mail. Sorry, man)

François.

Hi Phil

Funny how we use the word 'clones' when we're talking about seed-grown plants!

Where have you seen photos of the intermediate/highland clone? The lowland types were illustrated in the ICPS journal, and on the Carnivorous Plants in the Tropics website, but I don't think I've seen the other one photographed.

Sam - 'clone' just helps us keep track of what is what. If they were all sold as just 'mini' maxima seeds. We wouldn't have a clue, at least 'clone 1' 'clone 2' etc lets us know how many mother plants the seeds came from and hopefully an indication of what they 'might' look like.

The pic's were put up on the ebay sales that they came from. Note - that is not for the 1600masl nor the 'Lake Poso' ones.

I also have a load of seedlings from two different 'Giant' maxima's - I really hope they look like the pic's of the mother plants.

Francois - no worries, but now I am intrigued

Edited by Phil Green

Sam, that's why I didn't call them or 'Lake Poso' when I handed them to you.

Hi François

Yes, I realize the distinction; as the article makes clear, 'Lake Poso' only applies to the lowland clones.

Would still like to get my hands on some photos if I can.

All best wishes

Sam

PS Will post photos of my own few plants tomorrow if I get the chance.

OK, here are the five mini maximas from 1600m asl I selected from the (somewhat overgrown) tray I was using:

gallery_3216_287_56892.jpg

Two have slightly larger and paler leaves, whereas the others are darker and the pitchers show slightly more colouring. But there really isn't much difference at this point.

The pitcher on the far left here already has a nicely striped peristome, which I hope will stay:

gallery_3216_287_11204.jpg

Edited by SamInLondon

• 3 months later...

Hello

Small update on mini maximas ;)

HPS makes bad things with colours, but...

This nice red seedling now looks: [still very red]

http://img713.imageshack.us/i/p1020669800x600.jpg/

Pitchers of other N.mini maximas clone 1 i have

http://img833.imageshack.us/i/p1020671800x600.jpg/

http://img196.imageshack.us/i/p1020670800x600.jpg/

http://img339.imageshack.us/i/p1020676800x600.jpg/

http://img266.imageshack.us/i/p1020674800x600.jpg/

http://img715.imageshack.us/i/p1020673800x600.jpg/

And only one mini maxima clone 2 i have- nice plant ;)

http://img375.imageshack.us/i/p1020672800x600.jpg/

Regards

Edited by sativ

Hello everyone,

on what media do you guys grow your seeds?

I grow them on peat with a little bit sand.

I also tried choped living Sphagnum, also worked fine.

Dead dried Sphagnum from Gert worked not good, it was too wet so there were soon algae.

I red that some people use living moss, not sphagnum, and i thought that could work briliant if it grows slow, and it doesn't get algae if it is too wet.

How wet to you keep your seeds?

I always let them drying out, and then i water them again.

I had some problems with mildew in the past...

Best regards,

Paul

Paul - I used to use supershpag (all these ones were on this), but I was getting problems sometimes with slime mold. For about a year I now use finely chopped spagnum moss. I keep it moist by spraying once a day. A few seem to grow the moss a little too quick - which I allow to 'dry' a little, so the moss goes whiteish. So still playing around a bit and refinning things, but basically I prefer moss to peat for seedlings as it is more 'sterile'.

sativ - they are looking very much like mine, I have to update some pic's once they've grown a little more.

• 4 weeks later...
OK, here are the five mini maximas from 1600m asl I selected from the (somewhat overgrown) tray I was using:

Dear Sam, Phil and All,

The seeds Longor distributed labeled as "mini maxima 1,600 meters" had a typo, the actual height is 1,200 meters.

Also, it remains to be determined if this population of maxima should be excluded from 'Lake Poso'. If it performs best in lowland to intermediate conditions, then I'll amend the description to include these plants from 1,200 meters as well. If it is a true highland variety, then no.

• 7 months later...