how to germination stylidium seed ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I currently grow 12 diffferent sps pf Stylidium but recently sowed the seed of a further 30 species!

I soaked all the seed in a saturated solution of Giberellic Acid and also added a Smoke Water Paper disk as well to mimick the bush fires etc in its natural habitat.

I sowed the seed as I would most 'normal' CP seed using a mix of sphagnum moss peat, grit sand and perlite.

Alot of the seed trays are now showing signs of germination (thats 4-5 weeks after sowing) - I am hoping that the others will show signs of life soon!

Hope this helps!!

Andy

You guys are talking flowers and seeds, I can't get mine to do anything but spread and put out leaves. What are your growing conditions?

Picture0071.jpg

Edited by jimscott

HI Jim,

I have 3 sps flowering at this moment.

All my sps are being grown in an unheated Polytunnel.

All have survived unheated through a particularly rough winter. Got down to minus 5 IN my polytunnel.

All are being grown on the usual tray system - rainwater only. I do allow the water to dry up before re-filling though.

Other than that, really nothing special.

All the Best

Andy

You guys are talking flowers and seeds, I can't get mine to do anything but spread and put out leaves. What are your growing conditions?

Picture0071.jpg

Hi Jim,

A Polytunnel is an alternative growing house to a greenhouse. Its made of polyethene and tubular steel instead of glass and aluminium.

Kind Regards

Andy

HI Jim,

I have 3 sps flowering at this moment.

All my sps are being grown in an unheated Polytunnel.

All have survived unheated through a particularly rough winter. Got down to minus 5 IN my polytunnel.

All are being grown on the usual tray system - rainwater only. I do allow the water to dry up before re-filling though.

Other than that, really nothing special.

All the Best

Andy

I googled it for a visual:

250px-Polytunnel_Balhungie.jpg

A polytunnel is a tunnel made of polyethylene used to grow plants that require a higher temperature and/or humidity than that which is available in the environment.

Polytunnels are mainly used in temperate regions. They are similar in principle to greenhouses and cloches (row covers). Modern designs allow sowing and harvesting machines to move inside the structures so as to automate production.

Polytunnels have had a significant effect on the production of strawberries in the United Kingdom. Other soft fruits such as raspberries and blackberries are also cultivated in the same way.

623005111.jpg

Length: 120in Width: 18in Height: 12in Easily erected in any part of the garden to protect seedlings, young plants and vegetable crops from frost, harsh weather and pests. Manufactured from tough UV-stabilized polyethylene.

I think I can construct my own with plastic sheeting and wire.

• 1 year later...

An old thread, but still relevant. I recently received some Stylidium calcaratum seeds which came with a small piece of smoke water paper, which is added to water together with seeds for 24 hours. I sowed them in a mix of equal parts of peat, sharp sand and perlite and within a couple of weeks I can see lots of seeds germinating.

• Like 2