When do they start growing again in UK?

TroJon

I bought a darlingtonia some weeks ago, meant to be quite a large plant, like XXL?

Thing is, all my other plants have started growing, the cephs first (which are outside and traditionally the later starters for me) and the VFTs have started sending out new traps just last week or so (quite late as well?!) - am just wondering is this darlingtonia ok?

When do they normally start growing in the UK- it's been a while since I had one (about 5 years!) so I don't really remember!

Is it possible after a few weeks of owning this plant, it's still in a bit of shock from the post etc?

The ones I keep in the greenhouse started again about 3 weeks ago and the ones in my bog gardens started about a week after them but the growth on all of them is tiny just now. My largest one (in a bog garden) put up a flower about 3 weeks ago - just before the traps started.

If there's no movement at all then it might be worth unpotting it and having a look at the roots. I did this when I noticed one of mine not moving and found that almost all of the roots had been chewed off by some kind of larva. Both the plant and bug are now dead.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two plants both in exactly the same growing conditions one of which is growing normally, I think the other one seems to me to be drying out!.

any ideas?

Thanks in Advance ...........Jim

p.s. While I'm here why do I need a different password for CPS

IMG_0509.jpg

As I said, dig it up and have a look at the roots.

If its drying out then that would mean that it is losing more water than its absorbing which points towards a problem with the roots.

In reply to Trojon, I have a Darlingtonia that has been outdoors all year and has only really just started coming back to life, it's sent up some flowers, but they remain small, on short stems. Don't worry, it will be fine, as long as the traps are still green.

Alex.

I live but a few hours from the native range and it's even been terribly slow this Spring in Northern California -- an opinion also echoed by those at Peter D'Amato's nursery, California Carnivores. My plants have just become active within the last few weeks and I have yet to see a flower in 2010; otherwise, they've produced them like clockwork for the last decade . . .

I am just about to repot this plant should I use the compost it came in again or change it ?

IMG_0515.jpg

Plant root washed

IMG_0517.jpg

Different angle

IMG_0518.jpg

Piece that broke off

IMG_0516.jpg

Close up of same piece

IMG_0519.jpg

Original Compost

At the moment plant is sitting in water tray!

Edited by BLUENOWZ1878

BLUENOW - Personally if I unpot something to check the roots because the plant isnt looking to healthy I always use fresh peat and thoroughly wash the pot too just incase. I'd also wash the water tray too, the water looks a bit brown so due a clean out anyway.......

If it is a root rot problem then keeping the plant sopping wet is only likely to make the problem worse (although if it is rot then often the plant dies or atleast it does in my case), looks like you have some nice fresh roots but the plant isnt looking too healthy at the side of the other one - I'd seperate it from the other one, and water it in well and then try and keep it on the drier side but dont let it dry out completely. It will then be a case of just wait and see - hopefully it will be fine and start to perk up soon.

As for the comment about the CPS - its a seperate site so yes you do need seperate details for there. Presuming you have joined the CPS?

Thanks for the re-assurances guys!

My plant has sprogged up some tiny red traps at the base, been away for a couple of weeks but hopefully they aren't dry and toast now from the heat spell :/

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone know when the largest traps for that season come up- relative to when the plant starts growing? I.e. is it the first growth of the season that leads to the biggest pitchers, or does it take some time? Does anyone have darlingtonia development pics, as the one I have now has opened its hood on a trap about 8" or so, and the forked tongue is coming out. But the dead/dry pitchers are about 20" or so tall, so this one maybe stunted or still grows even when open?