Hi guys

Just a quick thing to say if any of you come across humax scottish moss peat do NOT buy it because nearly all of the plants i potted up in it have turned black =( so i had to buy an emergency bag of westland, which will do for the meantime. In my opinion i would say this is the worst brand of peat i have ever used!

Also could anyone suggest some form of scarer that will keep blackbirds away from my plants? because theyve trashed every minibog i own =(

Cheers guys

Dan

Unfortunatly at this time of year it's bird nesting season, so for me they used to go for the sphagnum I had around the plants.. Obviously it's annoying.. I created a small cage for my plants outside (I don't have many outside, mostly in terrariums) and this seems to have done the job.. It cost me the price of a few staples and screws and it ain't pretty but it will do the job.

Sorry to hear about your plants, I hope they recover... I shall avoid it if I come across it but the only stuff I can seem to find is Westland :woot:

Sorry to hear about your plants, I hope they recover... I shall avoid it if I come across it but the only stuff I can seem to find is Westland :woot:

Hi

Ye its not terrible and does the job =) will probably be moorland gold after this bag =)

Dan

On the subject of peat, can someone tell me who sells the stuff, most garden centres don't seem to stock it round here, same goes for say B&Q, they haven't sold it for over two years, but if i wanted a bag of compost, take your pick!

the area i am asking about is the Wirral area, of Merseyside, thanks.

I think you are more likely to get it from independent stockists, ie, not garden centres with branches. as for specific places, I don't know honestly :woot:

I get my peat from a bog near me that has unfortunately (because it used to have some Drosera) been cut for peat. The fresher stuff that they can't use, they give it to me, and it makes a perfect medium for all my plants. It has the properties of live sphagnum, only it is dead, and firmer. Brilliant. I suppose I am lucky that I don't have to buy any peat, good or not.

Im all out of peat at the moment and im about to order some moorland gold from this website:

http://www.organiccatalogue.com/catalog/pr...e8da979f521b5e1

45 Litres for £11.45 but not sure on delivery costs!!! was wondering if anyone knows if this is the cheapest online price??

I bought it from these guys a while back and, from what I remember, they were really good I think that the delivery costs were only a few quid and it was with me in a couple of days.

Im all out of peat at the moment and im about to order some moorland gold from this website:

http://www.organiccatalogue.com/catalog/pr...e8da979f521b5e1

45 Litres for £11.45 but not sure on delivery costs!!! was wondering if anyone knows if this is the cheapest online price??

• 2 weeks later...

Stephen swears by it!

It's actually sphagnum peat which has been washed down and collected, rather than excavated from the ground as I understand. The minerals seem to be in a form and concentration that carnivorous plants can gain a slight benefit from (in theory).

Perfectly safe though.

Hope so, i'be just potted up quite alot of plants with it.. So, it'll have to do!

Ron.

Stephen swears by it!

It's actually sphagnum peat which has been washed down and collected, rather than excavated from the ground as I understand. The minerals seem to be in a form and concentration that carnivorous plants can gain a slight benefit from (in theory).

Perfectly safe though.

I have used 'Moorland Gold' for about a year but am continually weeding the pots of grasses & sedges - so it is by no means perfect. It is fairly silty & therfore I add less coarse grain sand or perlite.

Delivery charges are minimal & delivery very fast.

Cheers,

Chris