Sign in to follow this  
Deadly Weapon

Traps turning black

dmproblem1.png

dmproblem2.png

There are som pics about it! I bought this VFT few months ago and so far it has grown well. It grows in the same terrarium with another VFT which is fine. VFTs grow with D. capensis 'alba' in a plastic terrarium with 70% humidity, 73,4 farenheit/23 celsius, lightning is about 13 hours/day and the tube is about 20 cm away from the terrarium. There are no mold or insects in the terrarium and VFT hasnt been "bullied". So far it has grown very well and tried to flower but i cut the stem away. What is going wrong?

Some please correct me if you think I am wrong, but in my opinion your humidity is a little high and the peat looks very wet.

Peat is very wet - try to cut back on the water. I let my tray completely dry out for a day and then fill it up again. Wild Dionaea grow in surprisingly dry (though still damp of course) conditions.

Edited by James O'Neill

I think the plant needs more light. The color of the plant is too darkgreen ant the petioles are etiolate. It is probably a fungus that attacked a debilitated plant and developed in a low light condition.

Try to put the plant as near as possible to the lamp, add an extra lamp, or put it outside if it is hot and sunny enough.

Hi ,

I wouldn't keep it in a terrarium, humidity is much too high. Slowly acclimitiase it to lower humidity levels and keep it a bit drier. I use 2 peat:1 Perlite: 1 sand for compost, which is lighter thna just peat and allows the rorots more air.

Cut of the affected bits - the rot just spreads.

Hope it recovers.

Kevan

dmproblem1.png

dmproblem2.png

There are som pics about it! I bought this VFT few months ago and so far it has grown well. It grows in the same terrarium with another VFT which is fine. VFTs grow with D. capensis 'alba' in a plastic terrarium with 70% humidity, 73,4 farenheit/23 celsius, lightning is about 13 hours/day and the tube is about 20 cm away from the terrarium. There are no mold or insects in the terrarium and VFT hasnt been "bullied". So far it has grown very well and tried to flower but i cut the stem away. What is going wrong?

Hi ,

I wouldn't keep it in a terrarium, humidity is much too high. Slowly acclimitiase it to lower humidity levels and keep it a bit drier. I use 2 peat:1 Perlite: 1 sand for compost, which is lighter thna just peat and allows the rorots more air.

Cut of the affected bits - the rot just spreads.

Hope it recovers.

Kevan

if you dont want to remove it from the terrarium just reduce the watering

It belongs outside, under something so that it doesn't go into shock.

I will take all my carnivorous plants outside when tempatures outside rise enough. Spring is just beginning here in Finland.

Edited by Deadly Weapon

Have you tried a systemic fungicide?It wont cure the diseased leaves but after a couple of weeks the plant grows healthy leaves free from disease.These plants are used to growing in high humidity.

I actually think it doesnt look that bad, I dont normally worry too much over just a couple of browing or aborted traps, more than a couple yes and perhaps check if the bulb is still white and firm and then repot . One thing I eill say is I agree it does look like its siffering through lack of light - there is some red in the traps but I think these are old traps as some of them look VERY green, the leaves also look very green - it does need more light.

No need for vfts to have higher humidity either - what are the temps like outside at the moment?? If its still too cold then try and increase the light.

Also its too wet, try and aim to keep it just damp. What is your growing medium as it looks heavy - is it pure peat? I'd think about making it a bit lighter and adding some perlite.

Doh - just noticed this is from the beginning of Mayl!

Any news on how the vft is doing now???

Hi LJ,

I have had the same problem with some of my VFTs, lots of black and a bit of rot. Conventional cultivation says stand in a cm or two of water, are you suggesting just keeping damp year round?

I am anxious to try something. I use compost of 1 of peat to 1 of Perlite to 1 of sand and keep them in a minigreenhouse with the sliding doors as open as thy go.

Kevan

I actually think it doesnt look that bad, I dont normally worry too much over just a couple of browing or aborted traps, more than a couple yes and perhaps check if the bulb is still white and firm and then repot . One thing I eill say is I agree it does look like its siffering through lack of light - there is some red in the traps but I think these are old traps as some of them look VERY green, the leaves also look very green - it does need more light.

No need for vfts to have higher humidity either - what are the temps like outside at the moment?? If its still too cold then try and increase the light.

Also its too wet, try and aim to keep it just damp. What is your growing medium as it looks heavy - is it pure peat? I'd think about making it a bit lighter and adding some perlite.