Water Depth ratio to Pot Size

Andy 1973

Hi

The majority of my Sarracenia plants are in pots which range from 4 to 5 inch in diameter and are all between 5 to 6 inch in depth and in the summer I keep them in approx 2 to 3 inches of water letting the trays dry out between waterings.

I also have a few much larger pots for my bigger plants (Brooks Hybrids etc) which are approx 9 inches in diameter and are maybe 12 inches in depth.

My question is for the larger pots is it necessary to have a deeper trough and to keep the water level higher or is say 2 inches of water suitable for all pots regardless of pot height?

It may seem a simple question and I have my own thoughts but wanted to get other growers viewpoints on the subject.

Thanks

To be honest, as long as the plants have wet feet it make little difference. Really it comes down to how often you can get to water your plants. If like you have to keep them at a place other than where you live or you just lead a busy life, so you can't water them that often, putting the pots in deeper water will save you going back.

Alex.

There is a consensus if you want larger plants, then let the tray dry out just before refilling it again to obtain larger pitchers. I do this now and some of the plants seem taller than previous years' growth.

I have let my plants dry out between waterings since last year,but haven't noticed any height difference as Mike mentions,Although i did let everything flower.

I think as long as they get water to the bottom it doesn't matter about the depth,the roots always come out of the bottom anyway.

some of mine are in large pots too.i.e s.minor okee giant is in a 12"pot grows to 34"tall but only gets 1"depth of water max.

ada

Cheers Guys

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Until now I've always had the bigger pots in seperate deeper containers which have taken up valuable space.

It gives me an excuse to have a play in the greenhouse this weekend and rearrange a few things to make more space for the odd plant or two :D

Thanks

It gives me an excuse to have a play in the greenhouse this weekend and rearrange a few things to make more space for the odd plant or two :D

I have to do a bit of plant shuffling this weekend too :yes: