Drosera filiformis var. tracyi

Amar

Obviously not as hardy as var. filiformis... I wonder if the plant really does need a dormancy period. Any experiences?

I have grown large numbers of Drosera tracyi (Diels) Macfarl. in Central Florida, in a greenhouse and outside. I have taken leaves this species D.t. for cuttings in the fall and even the very small plantlets went dormant during the shorter days of winter. Large plants of D. tracyi can be pushed to start a few weeks early in the spring, but my plants all went dormant at the same time in the fall. All of my attempts to grow D.t. as a tropical ended with fungus attacking the plants.

Take care,

Steven Stewart

I have grown large numbers of Drosera tracyi (Diels) Macfarl. in Central Florida, in a greenhouse and outside. I have taken leaves this species D.t. for cuttings in the fall and even the very small plantlets went dormant during the shorter days of winter. Large plants of D. tracyi can be pushed to start a few weeks early in the spring, but my plants all went dormant at the same time in the fall. All of my attempts to grow D.t. as a tropical ended with fungus attacking the plants.

Take care,

Steven Stewart

Thanks very much for that info. Guess that settles it. I must find a way to bring my plant through next winter...this winter I had no luck!

Do you also have problems with your D. filiformis during winter? I wonder, if D. filiformis var. tracyi can withstand frost? (i guess not...) Maybe dry air, only slightly moist substrate and temps slightly above zero? I have experience only with D. filiformis var. filiformis, which can get frozen, but i have some tracyi seedlings, which i will have to get through the next winter.

mine have been down to minus 6c (maybe lower but my thermometer always stops there) the only time i had problems was when the hibernacula? (winter buds) got wet or when we had a particulaly late frost and the plants were already in full growth.

Do you also have problems with your D. filiformis during winter? I wonder, if D. filiformis var. tracyi can withstand frost? (i guess not...) Maybe dry air, only slightly moist substrate and temps slightly above zero? I have experience only with D. filiformis var. filiformis, which can get frozen, but i have some tracyi seedlings, which i will have to get through the next winter.

Zlatokrt,

Drosera tracyi can withstand frost, it is from the panhandle of north Florida, USA, where below zero c. temperatures occur every winter. Here in Central Florida the climate is more tropical than in the north part of this state. It seems that Drosera trayci is just less cold hardy than D. filiformis. I don't know if Florida's D. filiformis is as hardy as the forms found north of Florida.

• 11 years later...