Is Brocchinia reducta highlander?

Sebulon

Hello,

So, is Brocchinia reducta highlander? I know some populations grow side by side with Heliamphoras, but is the clone in cultivation a highlander? Would it do better in a highland terrarium than a lowland? I would grow it with epiphytic utrics and helis.

Greetings,

Jarkko

Either way, its not a very fussy plant. It will grow hapilly in your living room, trust me ;-)

Dont use the tray method for watering, but just water regularly from the top instead, and keep water between the axils.

You're totally right, its not fussy at all. I grow mine outdoors(lowland) and its happy whether the water goes into the tray at the bottom, into the pot itself or into the plant's leaves. Very easy grower.

You're totally right, its not fussy at all. I grow mine outdoors(lowland) and its happy whether the water goes into the tray at the bottom, into the pot itself or into the plant's leaves. Very easy grower.
Nice to hear that. :clapping:

By the way, I came up with another question: I read that some people keep water in the middle of the plant: always! Is that realy needed? Won't the plant rot if you do something like that?

I grow mine on the bathroom window cill,with water in the middle of the plant with no problems.

Its very easy to grow.I got it without any roots at all(a small division just pulled off)I left it to dry for a couple of days them planted it in damp but very free draining compost(lots of perlite) and its never looked back.

ada

I read that some people keep water in the middle of the plant: always! Is that realy needed? Won't the plant rot if you do something like that?

Rot? Thats the way these Bromeliads are built! They collect water in the middle/axils, like i mentioned above, keep water in the middle, dont keep the substrate too wet and have the plants at about appartment temperature and they should be fine.

I grow mine on the bathroom window cill,with water in the middle of the plant with no problems.

Its very easy to grow.I got it without any roots at all(a small division just pulled off)I left it to dry for a couple of days them planted it in damp but very free draining compost(lots of perlite) and its never looked back.

ada

Sounds nice. I was thinking about soil mix of something like this, 1:1:1 peat, perlite and orchid bark. I hope it's good. Or maybe less peat?
Rot? Thats the way these Bromeliads are built! They collect water in the middle/axils, like i mentioned above, keep water in the middle, dont keep the substrate too wet and have the plants at about appartment temperature and they should be fine.
Oh, so you have to keep water there? Ah of course, how stupid can I be. That's how they are carnivorous, they digest insects that drown in the water in the middle. :unsure:

Sounds nice. I was thinking about soil mix of something like this, 1:1:1 peat, perlite and orchid bark. I hope it's good. Or maybe less peat?

Oh, so you have to keep water there? Ah of course, how stupid can I be. That's how they are carnivorous, they digest insects that drown in the water in the middle. :D

The mix I'm using is 1:1 peat:perlite with slightly more peat. I don't think the plant is too fussy about the media. As for keeping the water there, it will actually still grow if you don't, but will obviously be happier if you did.

• 4 weeks later...

This plant is semi-carnivorous. It doesn't digest anything and it can't fill the tank with water.

Do keep the water tank in the middle wet, it will dry out and quickly in the summer heat. This is the main source of water for the plant while the roots are growing. Then it flowers and grows new basal rosettes (most of the time) and the main stem dies. The life cycle takes about two years in my conditions.

It is a very adaptable highlander and can be grown in lowland conditions.