byblis guehoi/goliath/filifolia polination

katie1101

Hi, I have blooming plants of byblis guehoi, filifolia location plants and goliath. I noticed the branch that supports the guehoi flower has pointed decidedly downward toward the soil after polination with another plant from same location. Does anyone know if this means anything as far as pollination success? Also wondered if these plants can be crossed with success.

Thanks for any information! Good growing!

Katie

Dear Katie-san,

Konnichiwa!

I DO hope for your artificial pollinations succeed. Unfortunately, the descending pedicels do not always mean the success.

A few years ago, I succeeded to obtain some seeds of Byblis species N.T. x Byblis guehoi. I do not sow the seed yet. Considering the chromosome number of Byblis guehoi, the F2 generation of this Hybrid might be very interesting.

Byblis species N.T.: over all finer plant to 15cm very floriferous Litch field Northern Territory

I do not know the chromosome number of this fantastic species though!

Kind regards from the Far East

Dear Katie-san,

Konnichiwa!

I DO hope for your artificial pollinations succeed. Unfortunately, the descending pedicels do not always mean the success.

A few years ago, I succeeded to obtain some seeds of Byblis species N.T. x Byblis guehoi. I do not sow the seed yet. Considering the chromosome number of Byblis guehoi, the F2 generation of this Hybrid might be very interesting.

Byblis species N.T.: over all finer plant to 15cm very floriferous Litch field Northern Territory

I do not know the chromosome number of this fantastic species though!

Kind regards from the Far East

Hi, thanks for your information- looks like the Byblis goliath cross polination from different goliath seed is working as the pods seem to be swelling after the branch pointed downward toward the soil after pollination.

Also, interesting to me is that I have a densely branching green liniflora that after self polination produces purple colored plants under the same light.

Amazing species- thanks again-

Katie

Hi Katie,

Congratulations on your success! Do you have any photos that you cam post? Also, did the guehoi come from me?

Greg

Hi Greg, thanks- will try to figure out the pics/post-if not will shoot you an email of my plants from your seed. The other plants are from cps uk-I joined and donated seed for trade, probably your seed as well.

I will send you a list of the location data with the pics - if it looks right to you I know it will be right!

thanks again -

Good growing-Katie

Hello Katie and All,

It's good to see that your Byblis 'Goliath' plants are performing well for you. If the three forms you are growing has pulvinic appendages, then they are indeed Byblis 'Goliath'.

Also, keep in mind that the viability rates of Byblis 'Goliath' seeds drastically decrease to 45% germination rate on average after one year and down to as low as 30% at two years, based on my personal observations. They germinate best when sown within a week or so from harvest. It seems the best and most reliable way to propagate these plants is by cuttings, as you stated to me in your prior email.

Byblis 'Goliath' continues to amaze me with it's many shapes and forms. Here's my latest forms, all produced in tissue culture from select clones. Let's start off with the standard form. All plants depicted are from my original Byblis 'Goliath' seed;

612576842_c2Tt3-XL.jpg

850542410_w2ZpA-XL.jpg

And now for something very interesting;

850542461_QHmGN-X2.jpg

850542430_zMCZy-XL.jpg

850542449_2teJo-XL.jpg

And another rather interesting form produced in TC. Extreme branching and very floriferous. Much smaller than standard B. 'Goliath'

850542311_pAui6-XL.jpg

850542350_6QpHs-XL.jpg

I'm also pleased to report that other Byblis growers of the new Byblis cultivar Byblis 'David' are experiencing the same interesting results as described in the registered description here;

http://www.floridacarnivorousplantsociety....ultivarform.htm

The most popular observation they are reporting is the constantly changing comparisions between anther to filament and sepal to petal measurements and colors, however pulvini are always present.

Truly a plant of mystery!

Best Wishes,

Brian Barnes 4/30/10.