Sign in to follow this  
BonnieJohnson

Botrytis

I guess I was spoiled growing CP's in Alaska because I never had much for diseases, fungus, or insect problems. Well, the Pacific Northwest's wet winters just taught me a heck of a lesson..:pleasantry:

I lost 80% of my Sarracenia to botrytis. Over a hundred plants are garbage. I just feel sick. In over 15 years growing CP's this is the first time I've ever had a bug or fungus wipe out my plants like this. The only ones that are fine are the ones that were growing in straight live sphagnum, just about everything I had in any sort of peat mix is dead. I tried my best to keep the water levels low, but without a greenhouse or cold frame it's pretty difficult. :tu:

Those of you who use fungicide.. what one do you use? I'm going to go shopping for some this afternoon..

Have a go with yellow sulphur, I'm trying this for the first time this year and so far so good. I'm using the powder, I'm not aware if it comes in a spray form or not, but it seems to be working. Sadly, there isn't much that you can buy these days for Botrytis, all the good stuff has been banned.

Hope you manage to save as much as you can.

Alex.

Damnit man, sorry for you loss!!

You are probably keeping them too wet over the winter. You really need to keep the compost almost bone dry. I keep my S.oreophila almost completely dry in the garage over the winter. I water them every two weeks. I do this by putting the pots in half an inch of water for five minutes and no more. Just enough water so that it feels that the pot has about an inch in the bottom half.

You can use a fungicide but if your cultural techniques are wrong, it won't make a lot of difference. I haven't lost a S.oreophila for years now due to grey mould. I leave them in the garage for two months from November to January, then take them out and put them on the kitchen windowsill. Obviously, in a greenhouse they will take longer to get going in the Spring.

Hope this helps.