Sign in to follow this  
maverick

Anthocyanin free plant

I was very happy when I saw another flower from my anthocyanin free venosas opened all the way.

But I was quite surprized to find this little red flush on the sepals.

I know it is hard to see, but it defenately is there(at the base of the sepal near the stem). In real life it's a lot clearer than on the picture.

The plant defenately looks antho free and is always grown in full sun.

Does somebody knows if these antho free plants can make some kind of red coloration that's not anthocyanin?

_MG_7428.jpg

_MG_7432.jpg

The plant comes from all those antho free venosas Christian Klein has made, so I don't doubt it it's really antho free.

The tissue isn't damaged at all neither, it's still very stiff and absolutely not dead or rotting, though the color suggest that.

It's also nothing that has collected in the peatmix and was then absorbed by the plant, because all my other green venosa's are in the exact same mix(repotted at the same time)and grow in the same tray.

First I was thinking about some sort of iron oxides, but there isn't any iron in my water collecting system, everything is from plastic.

My other anthocyanin free venosa doesn't show me any red or brownish flushes in the sepals, neither does my venosa var. burkii f.luteola flower.

If somebody can give me a clear answer I would be very glad.

Thanks and happy growing!

I was very happy when I saw another flower from my anthocyanin free venosas opened all the way.

But I was quite surprized to find this little red flush on the sepals.

I know it is hard to see, but it defenately is there(at the base of the sepal near the stem). In real life it's a lot clearer than on the picture.

The plant defenately looks antho free and is always grown in full sun.

Does somebody knows if these antho free plants can make some kind of red coloration that's not anthocyanin?

The tissue isn't damaged at all neither, it's still very stiff and absolutely not dead or rotting, though the color suggest that.

It's also nothing that has collected in the peatmix and was then absorbed by the plant, because all my other green venosa's are in the exact same mix(repotted at the same time)and grow in the same tray.

First I was thinking about some sort of iron oxides, but there isn't any iron in my water collecting system, everything is from plastic.

My other anthocyanin free venosa doesn't show me any red or brownish flushes in the sepals, neither does my venosa var. burkii f.luteola flower.

If somebody can give me a clear answer I would be very glad.

Thanks and happy growing!

Anthocyanin-free is a bit of a misnomer, like the notion of "fat-free" in many foods; it should read "largely anthocyanin-free" and it's not unusual to have a "blush" of coloration from time to time. Even a few of my Dionaea muscipula cv. Justina Davis have the mildest coloration when very young but is all-but absent at maturity.

That red is clearly anthocyanin . . .

Anthocyanin-free is a bit of a misnomer, like the notion of "fat-free" in many foods; it should read "largely anthocyanin-free" and it's not unusual to have a "blush" of coloration from time to time. Even a few of my Dionaea muscipula cv. Justina Davis have the mildest coloration when very young but is all-but absent at maturity.

That red is clearly anthocyanin . . .

Much like S. leucophylla 'Schnell's Ghost', it's not completely devoid of anthocyanin. It's a very nice purp.

I have also seen that 'Justina Davis' blushes, my personal plant happens to never stop!

I have also seen that 'Justina Davis' blushes, my personal plant happens to never stop!

..then of course it is not 'Justina Davis' as the cultivar ".... is characterized by the complete lack of orange or red pigmentation in the leaves, even when the plant is grown in full sun". This is down to an inaccurate cultivar description, rather than the plants themselves, but means that the cultivar does not actually exist...

..then of course it is not 'Justina Davis' as the cultivar ".... is characterized by the complete lack of orange or red pigmentation in the leaves, even when the plant is grown in full sun". This is down to an inaccurate cultivar description, rather than the plants themselves, but means that the cultivar does not actually exist...

I have found that the mature Justina Davis plants completely lack anthocyanin; though, occasionally the juveniles can show a tiny bit of color . . .

Hi Guys,

I know there are plants that look all green but are clearly not antho free. Like S.flava var. maxima, D.capensis 'Alba', the all green Dionaea and some others.

But all these plants are able to make anthocyanins, only they don't make it that much.

But real anthocyanin free plants(only occure in the Sarraceniaceae family(Darlingtonia, Sarracenia and Heliamphora(not found yet))) are geneticly differend.

They just can't make any anthocyanins at all, if they do make them the plant shouldn't be called antho free.

I also googled for other red pigments occuring in plants and found this article on betalain. It's quite interesting.

Where they occur in plants, they sometimes coexist with anthoxanthins (yellow to orange flavonoids), but never occur in plant species with anthocyanins.

So maybe this coloration I'm seeing are not anthocyanins, but is betalain... since my plant is antho free.

The only problem is, the betalain only occures in the order Caryophyllales and Sarracenia's are from the order Ericales.

This is something only research can find out. And I don't think many research was done on anthocyanin free Sarraceniaceae plants.

This all is only a suggestion, since I don't know for sure and I can't prove it.

Thanks a lot and happy growing!

Edit: here is the Wikipedia article I've found my information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betalain

Edited by maverick

Hi Laurence

I 've got a antio. venosa from you and they also start a flower so i can look at the flower if there is any red flush inside.

Is my plant the gentical identy with your plant or not.

But the Flower are started it needs more time.

Bye Thomas

Hi Thomas, Long tome no see! How are you doing?

The plant you have from me is not genetically the same as this plant. But I would be interested in pictures though, since I have only two other antho free venosa clones to compaire it with.

Your plant is also a seedgrown plant that comes from Christian Klein, and your plant is genetically unique, since there where no cuttings taken from it before you got it.

It used to be me SV08C, but I had no more space for it, that's why you got it.

Good to hear your plant will be flowering, I hope you will enjoy it!

Hi

I feel good.

Of course i will enjoy the Flower. It where one of the first highligths this year. (don't think at the 20 boring flowers from S. flava var. flava);-)

Bye Thomas

This plant is odd; or the photo is odd... Take a close look at the old leaves where they show damage, only in antho-free plants do the living tissue next the damaged areas stay green. The plant shows no sign of the usual flush. Perhaps only the flower is somehow capable of producing anthocyanins? A one time sport that occurred on the flower bud?

Is it anthocyanin on the flower, or just thicker tissue giving the impression of a darker colour, which appears reddish in comparison?

Hi

I do have a good number of these plants in my collection ,and have never seen any red color in them .

They are just coming with flowers here ,so I will look a bit closer this year .

Chris

The blush is gone now. The place it used to be is now only a bit darker but totally green.

It would be great in you can check your plants Chris. Then we know if my plant is only an exception or something that occures more often.

Thanks and Happy Growing!