Sign in to follow this  
manders

First Winter in the Greenhouse

First year in the greenhouse and was aiming for 4 deg min, more realistically was 2-3, and one occasion went down just below 0.

Some didn't make it (Glabrata, Ventricosa) also a large Gentle seems to have snuffed it,

4464477001_615042c32a_b.jpg

One looking very rough but now starting to grow so should be ok, Singalana

4465259606_91bda31127_b.jpg

Two which survived un-phased, Diatas and Densiflora

4464478757_8faaff4670_b.jpg

Next year will aim for a higher average and try not to trip the electric and might just think about leaving a few more out all winter.

Edited by manders

Always interesting to see those which do survive going below 0C.

Do you provide any lighting ? I've found if you can still give them 12+ hours of light, that helps reduce the stress of low temps. It also helps keep up the temps by a few degrees (at least in my grow chamber).

I'd say if you can keep it above 5C (so aim a bit higher) most highlanders will be OK - some doing better than others. Another I've found to be really good at low temps and reduced light is mikei (at least my clone is).

That singalana looks like it was (and will again be) an impressive plant.

That singalana looks like it was (and will again be) an impressive plant.

Singalana in happier days...

3878791191_08df033d07_b.jpg

Actually there is some suspicion that its been genetically modified in some way by TC and thats why it branches out like crazy, hence it became my test subject for this winter, also last few years its had caterpillars and other issues...

Both the glabrata and vent might have been ok except for the few hours below 0, they turned black almost straight away after that.

5C will be the minimum for next year...

I'm a serial mikei killer, last one i had did great upstairs in the bedroom and then promptly died when i put it in the greenhouse last summer.

Not been brave enough to drop it that low but this year I had an average of around 5c with no obvious signs of damage.

Previous year I kept it around 8c and the drop, to 5c, doesn't seem to have hurt them, still continued to grow (very slowly) and flower.

sorry to see those losses manders. But your singlana seems back with revenge and better than ever. (I'm assuming ;) )