Plants I have lost this winter

On the bright side, each of them are widespread in the collections of many, and you are likely to be able to replace them right quick. It happens to all of us.

binata and capensis do die down over the winter - so don't assume they have died.

Keep them as normal and just wait and see what grows up come the spring.

D. filliformis can just die. I've had ones die and get botrytis while others in the same pot an inch away are fine and now waking up ??

I'm a little worried about a giant form capensis that has gone doemant, but ain't looking that healthy! Just have to wait until later in the spring when it starts to regrow. Or not as the case may be.

Alex.

Are you sure your capensises are dead? Mine dies down to the roots every year and resprouts from the roots in the spring.

The stem has rotted away but all the roots are ok, But my other Capensis are all fine.

i,ve been lucky this winter. fingers crossed :thumbsup:

i have only lost one filliformis this time to botrytis. all my capensis are fine and showing signs of wakeing up.

I've lost my biggest VFT seedling ,the weird thing is the very small ones (none bigger than my thumbnail) all survived as far as I can tell.

Looks like both my D. capensis and binata survived, they did look like they died but a couple of weeks inside in front of a window and they are happy campers again.

bluh I lost DM typicals! :yes: Stupid westland peat - luckily pings/sarracenia hasn't had any detrimental affect so far, but I won't be using that sod again! Moorland Gold for me next I think..

Lost some D.pulchella, but probably because they were left outside all winter (it's all good I got around 30 gemmae coming up now).

Sorry to hear about your losses, but mine really are not very important :P

Not quite sure what I lost this year....it's my first year "overwintering" outside...I think I have lost my sundew (don't know what it was called") and also possibly a couple of sarracenias....on the plus side I seem to have a batch of approx 20-30 sundew seedlings from the (alas poor deceased) winter murdered one. I am trying to revive him...not sure if he is dead or just dormant to the root..

all but my uk sawtooth 2 vfts have died. I have no idea if any of my sarras have made it, no growth yet. obviously all my non-hardy plants have survived, as I had taken them inside. i will have to replace much and really think about how to treat my "hardy" plants next winter.. my growlist is a thing of the past.. :yes:

• 1 month later...
Guest Nico Hartmann

hi I

here's a list of all plant I have lost this winter : Dionaea muscipula

Sarracenia flava 'culture'

Sarracenia leucophylla

Sarracenia psittacina

ciao

Nico

I've lost a fair few vfts too, I'm blaming the westland peat too!! Wont be buying it again either and have started using live moss for a lot of plants since peat is so hard to get hold of. Thanlfully my sarras dont seem to mind the westland and I dont think I've lost any of those (although not all are awake and havent checked those properly), not sure how my outside bog barrels have done either. Lost a few neps and a few sundews, sadly looks like my n. jacquelinae and arist clones have gone to plant heaven too. Not a good winter for me except with the sarras, best one yet for them as far as losses go.

:rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...