Heliamphora heterodoxa x ionassii

Hi,

I have owned a Heliamphora heterodoxa x ionassii for some time and it has been placed in various location, but always under artificial lighting until recently. It now resides on my kitchen windowsill we no artificial light. It has been there for a few weeks now and since moving it has come into flower. Today was a sunny so I took the opportunity to take the plant outside to take a few pictures. The plant looks a little worse for wear due to the location prior to moving it to the kitchen windowsill being far from ideal for light levels; however, as you can see there is now a new pitcher developing...

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

Very nice plant and beautiful flowers! Did you move it from umder artificial lights in the sunny location at once or gradually adjusted it to sunlight? From my experience plants grown under artificial light get easily sunburned when put into direct sunlight too fast.

Very nice plant and beautiful flowers! Did you move it from umder artificial lights in the sunny location at once or gradually adjusted it to sunlight? From my experience plants grown under artificial light get easily sunburned when put into direct sunlight too fast.

I didn't acclimatise it... I simply moved it. I did this quite a few weeks ago though and the sunlight is not that intense here yet; in fact some might say that the sun is never intense in Scotland :sun_bespectacled:

• 2 months later...

Here's an update. The plant has been putting on good growth since the pictures above. The developing pitcher has now opened, with another one just opening and at least another 5 on the way. The nectar spoon on the newly opened pitcher appears to be larger, so I guess means that the light levels are good. I've been giving the pitchers a weekly feed with L-glutamine powder.

pic1.JPG

pic2.JPG

pic3.JPG

pic4.JPG

I honestly think that it benefit from more light. I grow the bulk of my Heliamphora outside in Northern California -- and cannot give them too much sun.

Unfortunately, Scotland doesn't have quite the same levels of sun as California :lol: but the growth has increased significantly since moving it to a sunny windowsill. It actually grew quite well under my metal halide light, which I used prior to building a grow-shelf, but it never liked the grow-shelf fluorescent lighting. Heliamphora heterodoxa x ionassii is one of the less fussy hybrids and seems to tolerate lower humidity levels.

Edited by mobile

Unfortunately, Scotland doesn't have quite the same levels of sun as California :lol: but the growth has increased significantly since moving it to a sunny windowsill. It actually grew quite well under my metal halide light, which I used prior to building a grow-shelf, but it never liked the grow-shelf fluorescent lighting. Heliamphora heterodoxa x ionassii is one of the less fussy hybrids and seems to tolerate lower humidity levels.

I noticed its lower humidity requirements as well; having almost cooked it a season or two ago; and, in terms of overcast and cold weather, San Francisco isn't called "Fog City" for nothing (it's 15˚ and drizzling) . . .

• 1 year later...

What do you do in Winter? Does it stay on the window sill? If so, how does it get on?

Yes, it stays on the windowsill all year round. In winter pitcher production slows and those that are produces are very flared, with smaller nectar spoons. You can see some winter pitchers circled here:

1_winter.jpg

That's an amazing plant!

I've been thinking about making my first foray into growing Heliamphora with this hybrid- it is great to see you have had success with this on a windowsill as I might be trying the same sometime soon.

That's an amazing plant!

I've been thinking about making my first foray into growing Heliamphora with this hybrid- it is great to see you have had success with this on a windowsill as I might be trying the same sometime soon.

I have not tried many Heliamphora but of those that I have this is by far the easiest.

I have not tried many Heliamphora but of those that I have this is by far the easiest.

Seems like a good place to start.

How tolerant is it of high temps (30C+)?

I have a nice bright conservatory in my new house and i'm starting to move my neps and cephalotus in and i'm tempted to try a heliamphora, I just fear that it'll fry the first time the sun comes out!

Thanks,