dadmirabilis.jpg

drosera anglica

danglica.jpg

drosera peltata

dpeltata.jpg

drosera spatulata

dspatulata.jpg

Hope u like them!:-)

Hi Phil, not all of the depicted plants are coming from seeds. Some come from leaf tissue, therefore i used the expression 'TC' (no need to complicate things since it is not a terminology post) :-)

For sterilisation I use regular household bleach, diluted.

Thanx for the nice comments.

I am natural blond:-) Yes, bleach is the one with chlorine in it. To be more specific, it is a solution that is formed by reaction of chlorine gas with diluted Na lye. Cl2 + NaOH (aq)-----> NaCl + NaOCl +H2O, it is called disproporciation. The reaction is reversible to some degree, so the chlorine itself is the sterilant. I use diluted 0,5%NaOCl (10 times diluted bleach from store. The good thing is that it already contains soap as the surfactant, so it is ready for use:-)

Hi Dudo,

Is this the first time you germinate a tuberous sundew in vitro?

I tried with D. auriculata years ago and they germinated and started to grow well, then stalled at about 1cm diameter. Never took it further, I wonder how easy they'd be to deflask. Mine never formed roots or a tuber.

On a separate note I just sowed seed of two lowland populations of D. arcturi in vitro. We'll see how they go. The first lot went into 1/3 strength MS with 20g/L sugar, and after having 24h to hydrate, went into the fridge to stratify for 6 weeks. The second lot will go into the same medium with 100ppm GA3, and directly under the grow lights.

Have been using 5,000 ppm NaDCC for 6m for disinfestation, followed by three sterile water rinses.

Thank you people!

MFS: I have done tuberous in vitro before, but only the easy ones so far. D peltata seems to start roots spontanneously and forms a tuber at the tip of it. The tuber formation can be encouraged by greater amounts of sugar in medium or other chemicals(cannot recall the exact name now), depends on the species. Most of the sundews are pretty easy to deflask, even without roots. They root in the regularpeat afterwards. I usually wait for small signs of root formation in vitro prior to deflasking.

Good luck with the d.arcturi experiment! I did something similar with d. linearis (normal stratification versus gibberelins), but still no sigh of germination for both batches. Sometimes a great deal of patience pays off:-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...