H nutans divisions have failed, but why?

alexa

Regular users of this forum may remember that I have was able to get some divisions from my large H nutans, which I then potted up into live spagnum and placed in the tank under grow lights with 13 hrs of photoperiod. These were then covered in a plastic bag and watered on the tray system, allowing the saucers to dry before adding more. So far one has gone to a better place (the compost heap) the second looks decidedly peaky and the third is holding it's own, but not doing too much. The divisions were taken about a month or so ago. Any help as to why would be great.

Regards

Alex.

P.S sorry to all thoes who asked for a bit. I'm as annoyed as you are!

Hi Alex,

From my own experience of taking divisions from my Heli I think they may be getting too humid and wet. I repot mine at the moment in a mix of LFS and those Seramis clay pellets. I do not cover the pot and have just stood them in my Neps house standing on an upturned pot and water from above. The house itself is reasonably but not excessively humid. They take a while to take, but so far 100% have taken. Did the one that died rot?

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers

bill

Thanks Bill. I think you might be right about the humidity, way to high I suspect. The roots had rotted so I think Doh! is about all that can be said.

Regards

Alex

Dear Alexa:

So far i have managed to get 2 heliamphora nutans "giant form" divisions. I don't use LFS, but a combination of 50% sphagnum peat moss and the other 50% a mixture of vermiculite, perlite and chopped LFS. they are all doing great. I don't know what kind of divisions people do from heliamphora in general, but i would like to get divisions that have roots in them, it guarantees the survival of the "new plant" to some extent.

I never use the water tray method, because it rots my plants. The only way you can have water underneath your helis is if the water is in constant circulation and avoiding it being stagnant. Just my opinion on the matter.

Gus

Thanks Gus. I have keep the divisions just the same as the mother so we will see what happens, but I have taken the advice given and will keep them on the dryer side. I will report back!

Regards

Alex