Need Lithops advice

johns

I bought two Lithops today, wanting to get some experience growing a nifty succulent.

Does anybody know which species/hybrid/cultivar this is?

Also, the pot is very small and made of plastic, ~5 cm across. Considering that the pot will receive several hours of direct sunlight and that it's very easy to overwater such a small pot, would it be a good idea to move the plant (with original soil intact) into a larger, clay pot?

Any help appreciated.

Pictures:

lithops1.jpeg

lithops2.jpeg

Hi Johns,

its impossible without flower to say what it is, maybe Lithops leslei???

My Lithops have 6 -8 cm long roots. The plant need a bigger an deeper pot. Pumice stones are the best for Lithops.

Informations you find here:

-http://www.lithops.info/en/

a super nursery here:

http://www.conos-paradise.de/en/index.php5...f924ec2e7ce1ac6

Greetings from Germany

Daniel

Thanks for the reply. Do you think I should repot now, or wait until the new pair of leaves have emerged?

From googling it seems that there are quite many different suggested soil mixes. I wonder if a mix of "sowing and cactus soil" (consists of peat, sand, and hen "fertilizer"), sand, perlite, vermiculite would be OK?

Hi Johns,

march and april the best time to repot, this ist after the, in Europe, dry and cool dormant period.

Pumice stones its the best for Lithops, peat and sand treasure up the water, thats deathly for most Lithops, not today but tomorrow.

I got my Lithops 3 years only in pumice and have only nearly 10 % dead plants.

Greetings

Daniel

The advice I got from Kent Cacti - corroborated online - was to leave Lithops without water from June to November. When the mature pair of leaves have all shrivelled up and been replaced, time to start watering again!

My plant is doing well on this regimen, in full sun on a south-facing window.

Cheers,

V2 :sun_bespectacled:

The advice I got from Kent Cacti - corroborated online - was to leave Lithops without water from June to November. When the mature pair of leaves have all shrivelled up and been replaced, time to start watering again!

My plant is doing well on this regimen, in full sun on a south-facing window.

Cheers,

V2 :sun_bespectacled:

erm I think you mean November to June? (ie no water over winter)

erm I think you mean November to June? (ie no water over winter)

Ahem, yes... :clapping:

I meant no water from November to June.

Lithops like a dry winter and spring.

Someone tell me how to use this new-fangled Gregorian calendar...?

V2

Hi,i give my lithops 3 times water pro year ,the first time now,second time in june and thirth time in september when she go to flower,the first time water whit insecticide no fertilizer.I have more then 2000 lithops and lost the last year 2 or 3 plants,the are very easy plants if you understand the ritme.Plants from gardencenter are very difficult for staying in live ,allmost impossible,i think you not going long pleasir on these plants ,she go dead,she have the first year match to match fertilizer for growing very quick to make fast money, :clapping:

Cheers Willy

Hi,i give my lithops 3 times water pro year ,the first time now,second time in june and thirth time in september when she go to flower,the first time water whit insecticide no fertilizer.I have more then 2000 lithops and lost the last year 2 or 3 plants,the are very easy plants if you understand the ritme.Plants from gardencenter are very difficult for staying in live ,allmost impossible,i think you not going long pleasir on these plants ,she go dead,she have the first year match to match fertilizer for growing very quick to make fast money, :laugh:

Cheers Willy

Thanks, hopefully these plants will be OK despite coming from a garden center. What kind of substrate do you use for lithops?

Thanks, hopefully these plants will be OK despite coming from a garden center. What kind of substrate do you use for lithops?

Hey John ,hopefully you can this plants hold alive ,i use 50% pumice 40% loam and 10% peat.Lithops are very easy sowing in sowingsubstrate for cacti,germination allmost 100% ,after 1 year you can set plants in above substrate, it take 3 years before flowering.Best time for sowing from febr. till may :smile: Its the easyest and chaepest way to become a lot of lithops ,the are many seedsuplyers if you look on cactusmall,

cheers Willy