my vfts....

Amar

How deep were the pots that they were in? I've had similar problems in the past and it was because I kept them in short pots (7.5cm or so) and kept them a bit too wet. They turned into a brown mush from bacteria in the peat moss.

Now I only use pots that are a minimum of 10cm tall and preferably taller and I keep the soil quite dry during the winter. I didn't lose any this year.

How deep were the pots that they were in? I've had similar problems in the past and it was because I kept them in short pots (7.5cm or so) and kept them a bit too wet. They turned into a brown mush from bacteria in the peat moss.

Now I only use pots that are a minimum of 10cm tall and preferably taller and I keep the soil quite dry during the winter. I didn't lose any this year.

I think my pots weren't deep enough. this is killing me! damnit! i really hope they're not all gone....f*%k!

Amar, can you take a picture of your plants?

It can be a disease.

thanks, I will see when to find the time, but I really don't think it's a disease, they just seem rotted, brown, limp. If I'm lucky there may be growth from the rhizome, but am not to confident about that..

All mine are indoors on the windowsill now. I thought I'd give them a month's head start just to lay down some tissue since most of them have lost every single leaf. About a quarter were mush, but the rest still have good white rhizomes.

According to the winter index, which takes into account max and min temperatures and snow levels, this winter has been the third coldest on record in the north west.

All mine are indoors on the windowsill now. I thought I'd give them a month's head start just to lay down some tissue since most of them have lost every single leaf. About a quarter were mush, but the rest still have good white rhizomes.

According to the winter index, which takes into account max and min temperatures and snow levels, this winter has been the third coldest on record in the north west.

I stuck a few on my southfacing window a week ago and they've all exploded into life.

Its really satisfying to see them get a headstart.

Amar, if u've got a suitable window you should give it a go and see what you can salvage... You never know...

• 2 weeks later...

Sad. Of all of my VFTs, I think the only one that has survived is UK Sawtooth 2

:(

Guest stemainwaring

Sorry to hear that Amar, looks like mine are all fine, had a fair bit of sun in the south of england this week and most of mine have woke up and look pretty good.