Utricularia fulva

Hi!

Here are some pictures of my Utricularia fulva from Rockhole in Western Australia.

The pictures were taken a few weeks ago. I'm not an experienced photographer and the flowers are rather small so please excuse the quality.

Utricularia fulva, in my opinion, is one of the most beautiful Utricularia species and its flowers are much more beautiful in real than on the pictures I took.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Regards,

Stefan

Does anybody know where Rockhole is?

It doesn't appear to be in any map... I can find several named rock holes (Nallah Nallah rock hole, for example), but not a locality by the name of rock hole.

Miguel

Google Maps finds only one Rockhole in Australia - HERE

Edited by mobile

It's a hard plant to grow?

If I may answer this question: No, it is an easy grower! It is a tropical species but can withstand even relatively cold conditions for a while. Keeping it wet and warm (or hot) is all you need to do.

Flowering may be a somewhat different story. All my U. fulva start to produce flower stalks some time in late summer or fall (the first appear in late august or september). The daylength seems to play an important role as it did not flower for years in a friend's collection when grown under fluorescent lights without a change in the lighting period. The flowering period is now just about to end for me.

I hope this helps

Dieter

Hi!

Thank you everybody for your nice comments!

Last year my U. fulva didn't flower, so this year I gradually reduced the photoperiod down to 10 hours in the course of autumn and winter.

That really seems to be necessary in order for it to flower. I have two pots of this species and both are in flower right now.

Regards,

Stefan

If I may answer this question: No, it is an easy grower! It is a tropical species but can withstand even relatively cold conditions for a while. Keeping it wet and warm (or hot) is all you need to do.

Flowering may be a somewhat different story. All my U. fulva start to produce flower stalks some time in late summer or fall (the first appear in late august or september). The daylength seems to play an important role as it did not flower for years in a friend's collection when grown under fluorescent lights without a change in the lighting period. The flowering period is now just about to end for me.

I hope this helps

Thanks, I will put in my wantlist.

Regards.

• 6 months later...
Does this species grow like an annual or perennial?

Hi Sebastian,

I grow two different forms of this species and the Rockhole form is definiately the more vigorous grower. Keep it wet and warm and it will grow quickly.

In contrast, my other form (still a good grower but not as vigorous) produced more flower stalks per pot in the previous years. This year, the Rockhole form is at least the form which started earlier to produce flower stalks and more and more are appearing now.

Flowering seems to be induced by shortening of the lighting period and my plants flower from about september/october to february/march. The plants get natural light only in summer. After moving them a tank for the winter they will enjoy fluorescent lights. They do well both with cooler (about 15 °C) and warm (about 25 °C) conditions in winter. I did not observe any influence of the temperature differences on the flowering.

I hope this helps

Dieter