Keep Your Fingers Crossed For Me

DaveC

The f*#^ing RCD tripped around 0200 last night for no apparent reason at all and when I finally noticed, around 1000 this morning, the temp had dropped in my highland nep house to 2C! (forget about the defrosting freezer and rapidly warming fridge, its only food :biggrin: )

Now, I know that I posted a topic a while back about low temp alarms and got lots of great replies but I neglected to act upon them and, I have to say that, even if an alarm had gone off I'd not have heard/seen it anyway. I'm just glad that I'd invested in a remote thermometer as I check it constantly and it was that that first alerted me.

I'm hoping beyond all hope that everything will be ok but I guess only time will tell.

F*#^ing modern electrics, what was wrong with good old fuse wire?! :biggrin:

Hopefully 2*C for 8 hours shouldn't be a problem for most highlanders. That is, if the temps weren't lower during the night.

Anyway - good luck with the plants!

The f*#^ing RCD tripped around 0200 last night for no apparent reason at all and when I finally noticed, around 1000 this morning, the temp had dropped in my highland nep house to 2C! (forget about the defrosting freezer and rapidly warming fridge, its only food :wink: )

Now, I know that I posted a topic a while back about low temp alarms and got lots of great replies but I neglected to act upon them and, I have to say that, even if an alarm had gone off I'd not have heard/seen it anyway. I'm just glad that I'd invested in a remote thermometer as I check it constantly and it was that that first alerted me.

I'm hoping beyond all hope that everything will be ok but I guess only time will tell.

F*#^ing modern electrics, what was wrong with good old fuse wire?! :ireful2:

Hi Dave

Any short dip towards freezing shouldn't harm any of the plants. Below freezing is another matter! A couple of times in the past this has happened to me and my greenhouse plummeted down to 2 C, with no adverse effects at all.

Andy

Sorry to read about your bad luck; your post filled me with dread, because I have no back-up power supply - and no temperature alarm system. And, of course, last night my heater broke down!! Nothing to do with the power supply, so the lowlander terrarium was ok - but the temperature fell below 4C (I was very lucky it wasn't too cold a night). I have now bought a temperature alarm as recommended by Bill Sherren on the Flycatcher website. Your post made me take rapid action - I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us!!

Wiser