Trip to Falls Creek

Last Friday myself and a friend, Steve, went hunting for CPs in the Victorian highlands. We had heard that there was U. monanthos, D. arcturi and a strange form of summer growing D. peltata growing at the Bogong High plains in Victorias North East. In a moment of inspiration we decided we could do this trip in one day, as it couldn't be more than about 4 hours drive from where we live.

We set out at 9 in the morning, and after a few “short cuts” that turned into 4WD tracks, and getting lost once we finally made it to Falls Creek, at 3:15… Not exactly what we had planed! We set out in search of some sphagnum bogs to find some plants with time against us as we only had a bit over 2 hours of light left in the day. After searching a few locations with no luck, we kept moving higher up the range until we go to about 1660m when we spotted a very nice bog. A quick look around revealed the whole area to be a large expanse of sphagnum and herbatious plants with a small water course running through with intermittent shallow pools. It wasn’t long until we spotted some D. arcturi growing in the area. While I was getting my camera ready to get some pics of the arcturi, Steve pointed to a spot not much more than a foot away with a nice little purple flower in it. We had found U. monanthos as well. As we examined the area further we found a lot of monanthos spread throughout the sphagnum and clumps of arcturi scattered through the sphagnum at the edges of the water. The season was coming to an end for the arcturi, it had finished flowering and the older leaves were dying back. The monanthos was still in flower but there were not many new unopened scapes so this would not have been in flower for too much longer

Unfortunatly time was against us as the light was fading quickly making photography quite difficult and we had to head home before extending our search for D. peltata.

With the light fading we headed home, this time we avoided the “short cuts” and got back in about 5 ¼ hours. A great trip that is definitely worth doing again, but I think needs a little better planning next time!

A nice D. arcturi

arcturi2.JPG

U. monanthos flower, the scapes were very short, not much taller than 25mm

monanthosflower2.JPG

U. monanthos growing with some arcturi. The monanthos flower spike all seemed to have multiple flowers on them, you can see some swelling seed pods in this pic.

monanthos.JPG

A view of where some of the plants were growing. You can see the path the water was trickling through.

scenic2.JPG

A closer look at a typical water course,

stream.JPG

Some arcturi and monanthos growing by some water.

monanandarcturi.JPG

Steve trying to get the perfect pic. And who said it was easy, he is lying in wet sphagnum!!

steve.JPG

George

Great work George. I really wish I could have come along. Definitely next year- with a bit more planning and time to spend checking out the area.

Even though you had such a short time there it certainly appeared to be worth it.

Your photos weren't working so I fixed them up for you.

Sean.

Tim,

We'll be putting in a big effort next season to find the summer growing D. peltata and collect some seeds. Apparently the plant grows to about 20 cm tall is bright red and reproduces by adventitious stolons which is unusual for D. peltata.

It supposedly grows in extremely wet situations and is covered by snow for around 7 months of the year.

Should be a very interesting form.

Sean.

No worries Adam. If you manage to make it to Melbourne I'll be more than happy to show you a few of my favourite CP locations.

Sean.

Thanks for the kind offer Sean - hopefully I'll make it over there in the near future. Likewise, if you or George ever happen to "pop over" to Wales, I can show you some nice CP sites with Drosera and Pinguicula (and maybe Utricularia)!

P.S. Thanks for the photos George - fantastic fieldtrip!

Hi Adam,

I'd kill to see any Ping species in the wild some day. I have many relatives in Glasgow so maybe I'll make it up there one day. If my wife has anything to do with it we will!

Sean.

Dave,

I can guarantee you will love Perth. I have only been across to WA once and I was blown away. It truly is CP heaven. If you are lucky you'll be there around September or October- the prime time for most of the Droseras and Utrics.

Sean.

I will definatly be going back around March next year. I am determined to hunt down this strange peltata. But I think this will be the last feild trip for a few months as tuberous Drosera have not emerged from dormancy yet and the summer growers have mostly disapeared for the season :(

If anyone is heading over this part of the world I would be more than happy to show them a few nice CP spots!!

The web site is comming...

George