time lapse d.capensis trapping midge

popespliff

Very interesting indeed!

Looking at the actual process in time laps as opposed to the "finished job" makes me wonder

if my hobby is just a tad morbid. It doesn't look like the nicest way to go :shock:

Fantastic footage - timelapse is always great! Seeing how a species that I grow actually catches a largish insect is really exciting.

Just a few hours ago I mangaged to NOT capture an incident on film of my outdoors Nepenthes maxima hybrid catching a European wasp (although I witnessed it myself). It was completely dead within six to seven minutes. A lot of CPs are scarily efficient at what they do...

Cheers,

Tim

Remarkable & disturbing footage Alistair.

Did the camera crew use a Nikon DSLR to film the footage do you know?

bill

HI bill

This is a list of his equipment # 6 Digital timelapse kits (Nikon DSLR's) for field or studio use with various motion control setups, plant growing lights etc.

# Arri HSR2 (8-150fps) and full kit of accessories

# Lenses 8mm to 800mm

# Full macro kit - focus slides, many lenses, full periscope/straightscope system ( 45,90 degree prisms, probescope, u/w housing), fibre-optic cool lighting

# Studio with 3-phase power supply

# HMI Lighting kits

Alistair

A short outtake of Drosera capensis trapping a midge.Intresting to see how the abdomen of the midge swells up as the digestive enzymes flood into it even before it is dead.

Alistair

Alistair,

Do you know how long the 82 seconds of footage took to shoot in real time - ie. how speeded up it is?

Edited by Tim Caldwell

Fantastic!! I did notice that BBC Life's timelapse footage was shot on a nikon D3S...the 7000$ high end professional DSLR with a short wide angle lens. Alistair, could u possibly know how exactly they do it? Series of pics with an intervelometer and join them together in a avi wrapper?