Drosera graomogolensis in Botumirim - MG- Brazil

Hello

Here's some images and a link to the full habitat report of a new and beautifull population of D. graomogolensis found in Botumirin - Minas Gerais state, as well as other species like D. graminifolia, D. tomentosa, D. hirtella, D. montana and several Utricularia.

http://www.forum.clickgratis.com.br/viewto...scarnivor#89412

PC230214.jpg

PC230223.jpg

PC230228.jpg

Regards

Adilson - Brasil

Hi Adilson,

i really like your pictures (it´s always great to see such big colonies in nature), nice to see growing a few of them together next to each other. The landscape pictures are also looking great.

A lot of my D. graomogolensis and D. graminifolia (2 different locations) are in flower at the the moment, so i´ll perhaps show pictures of them these days, but for the next 10 days i´ll be not at home.

Many thanks for sharing these pictures. :rolleyes:

Best regards,

Dani

Very beautiful pics - thanks for sharing!

Having read some of Fernando's explanations, I'm reasonably clear on the distinctions between D. ascendens & D. villosa. However, I'm much less so on the differences between D. ascendens & D. graomogolensis. What distinguishes these plants from D. ascendens?

Very beautiful pics - thanks for sharing!

Having read some of Fernando's explanations, I'm reasonably clear on the distinctions between D. ascendens & D. villosa. However, I'm much less so on the differences between D. ascendens & D. graomogolensis. What distinguishes these plants from D. ascendens?

If i am right, mostly the seed shape and some flower charakteristics, but i can`t remember which exactly (but i remember, that Fernando wrote them somewhere).

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

This population of D.graomogolensis that Adilson featured above was one that we "discovered" accidentally a few months ago through pics that a random photographer posted on the internet. I searched for the site using Google Earth and Adilson decided to try to find it -- which he did! :)

Most of D. graomogolensis in collections come from Itacambira. So this is another location of this species ? Anyone knows how many locations are there?

This species was described from near the small Town of Grão Mogol, where several populations are known (I've seen maybe 3-4). But in 1994 I discovered that they also grew a little further S in Itacambira and Botumirim. I only saw one population at each, but am sure there must be many more. The one Adilson shows above rivals the type location in beauty.

Mostly seed shape, but also the scapes of D.graomogolensis are longer, the flowers larger, pistils longer, plants often form short stem, and I think maybe the underside of the leaves is hairier too, not sure.

Congrats Adilson (I'm so jealous and hope to see that population soon!)!,

Fernando Rivadavia

• 3 weeks later...

Thanx for all the comments folks.

Mostly seed shape, but also the scapes of D.graomogolensis are longer, the flowers larger, pistils longer, plants often form short stem, and I think maybe the underside of the leaves is hairier too, not sure.

Yes, the underside of the D.G leaves are very hairy. The new leaf shoots bear hairs with a silver color very light-reflexive that resembles very much the plants of some populations of D. tomentosa. Other than that, the leaves seems to be smaller, more fleshy and bear a smaller petiole than D. ascendens. The tip of the leaves seems to be more "pointy" too.

Yes, the underside of the D.G leaves are very hairy. The new leaf shoots bear hairs with a silver color very light-reflexive that resembles very much the plants of some populations of D. tomentosa. Other than that, the leaves seems to be smaller, more fleshy and bear a smaller petiole than D. ascendens. The tip of the leaves seems to be more "pointy" too.

I just saw a reference to your notes on differences between D. graomogolensis and D. ascendens on another forum, and think it is a very useful tool for differentiating between these 2 spcs. I thought I'd post a pic here as well. Here is a full shot of the backside of a D. graomogolensis leaf:

Graomogolensis_leaf_backside_hairy.JPG

It does seem to be generally hairier in D.graomogolensis, but I'm always just a little scared of generalizing for D.ascendens, since it's so widespread and so variable... This has to be taken into account together with teh other differentiating characters, just to be sure.

All the best,

Fernando Rivadavia

• 3 years later...

Hey guys,

The answers to all your questions on the differences between taxa in the D.villosa complex can be found in the link below:

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=51688

BTW, what we were calling "D.ascendens" above is now know as D.latifolia. ;-)

Best wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia