Venus Flytrap "Fang"

Peter22

Is the Venus Flytrap Cultivar "Fang" worth buying? Is it anything special like for example does it make above average traps, because I've heard that this guy is simular to a typical.

Would be quite interested to see what this one looks like myself if you find any in the UK?

8)

http://www.strike9.com/file.ashx?path=/Dio...Fang+Barred.jpg

I think Fang is supposed to have 'over long' cilia as shown by the pic above and even better by the one below from trffidpark. It is supposed to be the common plant in the Australian nursery trade but otherwise is just a 'typical' VFT.

http://www.triffidpark.com.au/htm_pages/ph...or_vft_fang.jpg

I'll hold judgement until I can see it side by side with a few others.......

8)

When I first saw one, I had to have it as I couldn't believe anything like that existed. But then later I saw some big typicals, and they were just as impressive. Mine is 4 year size, and not really different than the typical. Brad and one of the other advanced growers that I know but doesn't post here say there really isn't much difference in size.

‘Fang’ from all I can tell is a typical VFT in all respects. I have only been growing this plant for a few months, but if you look at my collection of at least 30 different typicals that I have collected from other good growers of VFT, it fits right in with the rest, no special distinguishing traits. If left unlabeled it would be lost in the crowd.

Regarding the one trait everyone seems to believe distinguishes it, the trap cilia (the trap bars) are longer than average, but no longer than several other VFT in my collection.

It seems to be a nicer than average VFT overall. If it does anything special this growing season I will definitely post up pictures for all to see.

Right now it is sending up a nice healthy flower scape as all my VFTs are doing. Its flower scape and buds atop are very robust appearing, similar to my other good typical VFT.

VFT ‘Fang’ is a nice VFT, and worth buying at a price you would pay for any common named VFT like ‘Red Dragon’ or ‘Dentate Traps’.

The better flytrap nurseries in the US are selling this plant, so it is becoming more common in collections. Hurry and get one before the hype wears off and you are stuck with a typical VFT named ‘Fang’, and don’t lose the label it comes with.

Brad

Ventura California

I've been growing VFT 'Fang' for a few years now and at some times under certain conditions it does have longer teeth than normal and sometimes the teeth are red on green traps which looks nice but generally it's indistinguishable from standard VFT's

Trev :D