P. bohemica locality

I have been asked to post some pictures from the trip to locality of Pinguicula bohemica (or P. vulgaris var. bohemica if you like it more). I have been there in may 2008, so the pictures are a little older. It is one of a few reamining places, where this plant grows. In the past, there were other places, but most of them were unfortunately destroyed.

First picture on vegetation, where it grows:

lokalita.JPG

Now plants:

bohemica1.JPG

bohemica2.JPG

bohemica3.JPG

bohemica4.JPG

bohemica5.JPG

And flowers:

bkvet1.JPG

bkvet2.JPG

bkvet3.JPG

bkvet4.JPG

But there were also some other CPs - Drosera rotundifolia and Utricularia minor in ponds.

rotunda.JPG

Uminor.JPG

There were some other interesting plants, but no more CPs.

Adam

Many thanks for those interesting pics. This place is very wet, are the other sites so wet?

Although the corolla is not very different from P. vulgaris f. bicolor (probably a little smaller and the throught narrower), the calyx seems to show some little differences.

Edited by kisscool_38

You are right, this place is really wet, other places i have seen are not so much (but i have seen only one other locality and one only on photos). I think, that P. bohemica likes it because the water make vegetation sparse and there are places where seeds can germinate, but the water itself is not directly essential for established plants. Of course, plants need enough water to grow :suicide_fool-edit:

I can`t make a good comparison with P. vulgaris f. bicolor, because i haven`t seen it "in vivo", only photos. I can compare only with typical P. vulgaris, which i know from nature.

Hello Dani

Well, P. bohemica is from lowlands, it is only known to occur in the fens in alluvium of the river Elbe, and it is known only from the Czech part, which is quite geographically separated (by mountains) from the German part. This locality is in altitude about 200 or 300 m.

And by that "but most of them were unfortunately destroyed." i mean, that in the past, there were more localities, but it was in the era of communism and in that times, some protection of nature was unimportant (fot those, who ruled). Our teacher, who showed us this locality (we had there a field practise), showed us also another locality, he said, that he remembers there also great numbers of P. bohemica. But it was decided, that there is "necessary" to have a field or something and the whole fen was drained. The water level lowered and now there grows mostly Molinia caerulea and a few other plants. P. bohemica doesn`t have a chance there (and of course, it is not a good place for a field...). There were also some more localities in another part of the alluvium, from which P. bohemica was described. They are gone now, so far i know, destroyed for similar reasons.

Is is much better now, those remaining places are protected and cared by volunteers, who mostly move the overgrowing vegetation and trees. On the locality on photos, P. bohemica is spreading on newly mowed places, so it is looking good.

Adam

Very interesting, I've never heard of Pinguicula bohemica before, has it been published? To my eye looks like a form of vulgaris with slightly different coloured flowers?

Yes, it has been published, but for a long time it has not been accepted. There is a discussion about this taxon in topic about D. rotundifolia var. corsica. There are more differences, not only the colour of flowers, but the flower colour is the most visible. No matter what, P. bohemica is surely relative to P. vulgaris.

Edited by Zlatokrt

Very interesting, I've never heard of Pinguicula bohemica before, has it been published? To my eye looks like a form of vulgaris with slightly different coloured flowers?

It has been published by Professor Vladimir Krajina in Mem.Soc.Sci.Boheme 15:1 (1927)

Jurg Steiger in "Pinguicula (Lentibulariaceae) : The cool climate species of the northern hemisphere - Morphology, Biology, Cultivation" a text from the second conference of the International Carnivorous Plants Society, Bonn (Germany), May 30 - June 1st, 1998 wrote : "in different regions of Europe, P. vulgaris occasionally appears with totally white corolla lobes while the rest of the flower is violet.

Sometimes P. vulgaris f. bicolor specimens are found amongst the normally colored Pinguicula vulgaris, in other regions there are sites with exclusively 'normal' and exclusively two-colored specimens. As far as I know, the f. bicolor was not recorded in North America."

There is a discussion for the status of P. bohemica as a true different species as the plant looks similar with P. vulgaris f. bicolor. Jurg Steiger wrote in this same article that he grows both and cannot identify any pertinent difference between P. bohemica and P. vulgaris f. bicolor. P.bohemica was published to be tetraploid (2n=32) but considering the difficulty of chromosome counting in Pinguicula the technical quality of this count is not convincing. "

in Octobre 2005, I had a personal communication with Dr. Miroslav Studnička (Eric Partrat, email, october 2005) :

" There is a nevelty in P. bohemica : Professor Casper has been in Czech Republic to make research in P. bohemica. In a laboratory of the University of Jena (Germany) they made also photographies of chromosomes. They confirmed authentically 2n=32.

I received a letter from Mr. professor, who considers P. bohemica for a clear species. The sometimes used combination P. vulgaris subsp. bohemica must be rejected because there is 2n=64 in P. vulgaris. Professor Casper is preparing a new monograpy of the genus Pinguicula, and status of P. bohemica will be reinstated there. "

More here :

Pinguicula bohemica

Edited by epbb