Highland pitcher plants

The temperatures are quite good for highland species. Maybe even a bit too cold.

This is my latest N. ephippiata pitcher:

p1100547.jpg

Some N. glabrata aerial pitchers:

p1100563.jpg

N. boschiana :

p1100567.jpg

N. spectabilis:

p1100565.jpg

And a look at one of my Heliamphora terrarium. Yes, they are highland pitcher plants too ;-)

p11005841.jpg

François.

Edited by Sockhom

Very nice François. :)

Are these the tanks siturated in your garage? How are they heated- soil warming cables/fish tank heater?

Did you customise the tanks lids to take the lighting? As I want to set up a couple of tanks to house some of smaller and slower growing Heli.

cheers

bill

Really nice plants.

The N.ephippiata looks fantastic!

How big are you N.spectabilis pitchers?

Hi,

Thank you. I'm glad you like the plants.

Are these the tanks situated in your garage? How are they heated- soil warming cables/fish tank heater?

Did you customise the tanks lids to take the lighting?

Bill, yes the tanks are situated in my garage. They are heated with fish tank heaters. Actually, they are terrariums with sliding doors, not tanks. Thus, I did not have to customize the lids: I just put the lightings on the top with some short pieces of wood set between the lights and the glass top to avoid breaking the glass by overheating.

How big are you N.spectabilis pitchers?

More or less 15 cm long. I hope the followings will be much bigger! ;-)

Which orchids do you have there?

Er... I don't remember exactly Dani but most of them are Sophronitis (rosea, grandiflora, coccinea, among others...)

Is that Exyra semicrocea damage I see on the one Heliamphora pitcher?

Nope Brian, no caterpillar there. These spots develop on the older summer pitchers. Eventually, the old pitchers will die and will be replaced by new reddish pitchers.

Truly,

François.

Francois,

Very healthy, happy plants you have - thanks for sharing!

I see a few Utrics in your tank if I'm not mistaken (U. humboldtii on left, longifolia middle & nelumbifolia on right). Have the humboldtii & nelumbifolia successfully established 'bases' in any of the heli pitchers with their wandering aerial stolons? What species are you growing in there?

Hello,

I see a few Utrics in your tank if I'm not mistaken (U. humboldtii on left, longifolia middle & nelumbifolia on right). Have the humboldtii & nelumbifolia successfully established 'bases' in any of the heli pitchers with their wandering aerial stolons? What species are you growing in there?

Some species (nelumbifolia and humboldtii) are currently setting in the pitchers and are producing leaves. I don't know how this will turn out in a few months. I also grow in separate pots (in this very tank) other epiphytic Utricularia such as longifolia, quelchii, endresii, asplundii and alpina. Some - the three latters - have flowered for me . I hope the others will too. Fingers crossed. ;-)

Here are some more pictures of my Heliamphora. I hope you like them. ;-)

H. heterodoxa var. heterodoxa (from Ptari tepui):

p1100779.jpg

H. exappendiculata from Amuri tepui:

p1100780.jpg

This one was sold to me as H. tatei var. viridis:

p1100781.jpg

H. folliculata from Murosipan tepui:

p1100789.jpg

H. "Tequila":

p1100792m.jpg

H. ionasii:

p1100794.jpg

H. sarracenioides about to open a 14 cm pitcher:

p1100802.jpg

H. sp. Akopan:

p1100805.jpg

Another view of the terrarium:

p1100791.jpg

François.

Hi François. Can you describe how do cultivate your helis (especially soil, Is it different for younger plants and how big pots do you use for them ) ? In this picture H x hispida. I bought it on September 1 year ago. It grows so slowly. What can I do for this plants to grows faster ?

Sorry for mistakes.

Best Regards Tom.