Shamrock Irish moss peat

mobile

I've bought this peat before and its been very good, not from this supplier but have had other compost delivered in the past ok if anyone is interested. It seems a good price delivered.

http://www.creativegardenideas.co.uk/j-art...ss-peat-100-ltr

Below is Heather's comments with regards J. Arthur Bower's Moss Peat:

This is the latest brand I tried, its seems to be full of non peat stuff though, spending ages taking all the crap out. Its easily obtainable for me but I wouldnt buy it again for a while. Hopefuly I've just had a bad batch but quality seems pretty poor to me.

It's getting increasingly difficult to get peat that is suitable for carnivorous plants. Being a natural product it will be variable, so you could get a 'bad batch' from a brand that you trusted before. This is probably going to become even more of an issue as the suppliers start exhausting the good quality peat from existing excavated bogs. The local peat available from where I live is very dark in colour, almost black and I guess that this is due to it coming from deep in the bog - VFTs hate it.

Interesting, I can only say I have been buying it soley for my plants for the past few years and have never had a bad bag, or found anything like "non peat stuff" plastic etc in it. My plants are growing well.

Interesting, I can only say I have been buying it soley for my plants for the past few years and have never had a bad bag, or found anything like "non peat stuff" plastic etc in it. My plants are growing well.

That's the same with me with regards to Shamrock Moss Peat, I have never had any problems with it.

• 2 months later...

Sorry if im bumping this, but ive seen the J. Arthur Bower moss peat online too, and then saw LJ's comment. Isnt it good that it has sticks in, prooving it was the top layer of a bog and hasnt been through any factories? Just the way a vft likes it, we can remove the sticks by hand.

That's the same with me with regards to Shamrock Moss Peat, I have never had any problems with it.

SNAP

BUT, possible bad news guys & gals. My local small nursery supplier told me a few days ago, when I went in & bought their last bag, that they may not be able to get Shamrock any more (or soon want be able to). Apparently the company that produce shamrock are getting out of the business :laugh2:

They did say a new supplier they've found gets their peat from the same source - so I'll have to see. But As I now have a full bag, that will be a year or two.

I get my peat free at a bog near me where there is small scale turf digging. I get the stuff on top that they don't want, which is lovely and mossy and light and aerated, and there is no need for perlite. It is very eco as well - if there is one thing I hate to see (but I see it too much around here) is wide expanses of black peat in large scale digging. That's right, Shamrock Irish Moss Peat comes from my area, and it ruins the ecosystems badly.

SNAP

BUT, possible bad news guys & gals. My local small nursery supplier told me a few days ago, when I went in & bought their last bag, that they may not be able to get Shamrock any more (or soon want be able to). Apparently the company that produce shamrock are getting out of the business :laugh2:

They did say a new supplier they've found gets their peat from the same source - so I'll have to see. But As I now have a full bag, that will be a year or two.

Phil, is Shamrock peat a brand name? I've gone through several 100L bags of J Arthur Bowers peat this year so far and it is good quality, plants all growing great and nice fine peat, no plastic bags or anything untoward.

Oh thats bad news about shamrock brand, I've finally found somewhere near me that sells it! I wasnt fond of the arthur j bowers that much when I used it, full of non peat stuff but not as bad as some of the other brands I've tried. Westland left me with problems, clover goes all green, mouldy and slimy on the surface. Just about to try shamrock which most people say is good stuff, cant believe they're going out of buinsess :rolleyes:

SNAP

BUT, possible bad news guys & gals. My local small nursery supplier told me a few days ago, when I went in & bought their last bag, that they may not be able to get Shamrock any more (or soon want be able to). Apparently the company that produce shamrock are getting out of the business :D

I was informed that the company that supplies Scotts, the owners of the Shamrock brand, no longer produce peat moss bales.

Edited by mobile

Clover is another one that operates in my area. I steer well clear of them :sun_bespectacled:

Some of us are fortunate to have a local 'eco friendly(ish)' supply of peat but you have to bear in mind that a lot of people rely on having to purchase bales of peat and a lot of it comes via Bord na Móna, which I guess are the primary operators in your area.

Ive messaged a garden centre nearby that may hold it, I will see what they have to say about it going out of business. If not ill order 400l of J Bower before they go out of business =P

The supplier of Shamrock Irish moss peat is not going out of business, as far as I'm aware. However, I was informed that they are not supplying bales of peat anymore. You might want to stock up if you see some still available in garden centres, just in case.

Edited by mobile

Just a thought but what about blocks of peat sold as fuel? When I went on holiday to Islay we were provided with peat for the fire. This was years before I became interested in Venus Flytraps. I wonder if I had brought some blocks home whether they would have been OK for our plants?

• 3 weeks later...

On my peat search I went to Colne to get some Shamrock stuff, they said they had it in, they lied, they didn't (when I got there grrrr). What they did have though was 100 litre bags of Erin Moss Peat. Now according to the garden centre assistant this stuff is Shamrock peat??????? just under a different/new company name. Now I'm not sure of this as I half thought I was being fobbed off. Anyway I got home and tested the PH using a B+Q soil testing liquid and it went red, lower than the lowest orange PH5 on the scale on the pack so I would guess around PH4. I don't know if it's any good but it's a nice light colour and so far doesn't seem to the have any really large dead trees in. I haven't tested it yet with a living plant but I will be soon. Basically it maybe worth a go and at £4.99 a 100ltr bag it wasn't to badly priced.

Shamrock moss peat has pretty much disappeared on it's home turf here in Ireland (I think Bord na Mona is trying to move away fron it's dark past as a destroyer of peatlands) however the Erin brand is excellent and a more than adequate replacement. It's packed in Co. Offaly in the Irish midlands so you can be sure it's raised bog milled peat. It certainly keeps my CPs happy!

Ian

Guest prevell
Just a thought but what about blocks of peat sold as fuel? When I went on holiday to Islay we were provided with peat for the fire. This was years before I became interested in Venus Flytraps. I wonder if I had brought some blocks home whether they would have been OK for our plants?

You will be very disappointed!

Years ago I had the same brilliant idea and brought home 'turfs' from holidays in Co Offaly and Sutherland. I left them outside in all weathers in seed trays thinking they would break down. TEN YEARS later they were still as hard as concrete and I took them to the local tip.

• 8 years later...