Shamrock Irish moss peat

mobile

After seeing a few posts about various brands of peat recently, I emailed Scotts to inquire about their Shamrock Irish moss peat product and received the following reply:

'Shamrock Irish moss peat in bales is pure peat taken straight from the peat bog, screened and packed.'

Have been using it for years, unfortunately its getting hard to find around here.

One of my local hardware stores had two large pallets of Shamrock and Westlands peat last time I visited. I bought three bales of Shamrock. Hopefully everyone will have been buying the Westland so there will still be some nice Shamrock peat left next time I visit :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know where I can get Shamrock peat in or around Bristol/Bath. Most places seem to stock Westland, which I had been using, I recently got 600l of Arthur Bowyers that says it's ok for carnivorous plants, but early days on this.

I don't think the Westland has had adverse effects but now I'm worried and would like to get Shamrock even if I have to pay for delivery.

Tricky

This is the latest brand I tried, its seems to be full of non peat stuff though, spending ages taking all the crap out. Its easily obtainable for me but I wouldnt buy it again for a while. Hopefuly I've just had a bad batch but quality seems pretty poor to me.

Agree with the views above :to_become_senile:

Used "Shamrock" mainly over the last 30 years with very little problems. Could not find any a few times and what ever else I tried has just not been as good!! Either full of bits of wood and paper waste, or, like other with 'Westland' I've ended up having to re-pot everything due to heavy losses :girl_dance:

The only info I've been able to find is that some mediums (inc peat) MAY contain wetting agents. This could explain the rapid water-logging and plant rotting?

Well whichever way you look at it there's definitely been some dodgy batches of westland. As for Gem I've heard of it but never seen any for sale near me so cant help you on that one - if its 100% spahgnum moss peat with nothing added then it should be ok although its fair to say after the trouble I've had with westland and arthur j bowers you dont really know until you try it.

Went to garden center to day and ask about Westland peat moss and the man at the shop said where is not a wetting agent in the peat moss and its 100% Irish sphagnum peat moss and he has sold the moss for over 40 years.

I think I'm more inclined to believe the email response in the following post:

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?s...st&p=255837

• 6 months later...
This is the latest brand I tried, its seems to be full of non peat stuff though, spending ages taking all the crap out. Its easily obtainable for me but I wouldnt buy it again for a while. Hopefuly I've just had a bad batch but quality seems pretty poor to me.

Yeah, my local garden centre had Arthur Bowers instead of Shamrock at the weekend. Seems to have a few twigs in it, but seems fine.

Packaging emphasises that nothing extra is added at all and that it is 100% moss peat. No idea why such a big company as Westland contaminates their product with filler.

My bags of Shamrock this year had loads of bits of assorted chewed up plastics in amongst the peat, after a while I started putting them all in an empty pot, which ended up full. Some were bits of pots and others were black plastic sheeting, one of the pieces was part of a plants label, I just hope the contents of the pots didn't go in with the rest...

My bags of Shamrock this year had loads of bits of assorted chewed up plastics in amongst the peat, after a while I started putting them all in an empty pot, which ended up full. Some were bits of pots and others were black plastic sheeting, one of the pieces was part of a plants label, I just hope the contents of the pots didn't go in with the rest...

yes, ive just had a bad batch of shamrock. Lots of bits and lumps. Even some really weired looking lumps of grey clay like material. Had to get the sieve out.