N.x 'Gentle'

Leo

Are there different forms of this hybrid? I seem to have a plant that produces mostly solid green upper pitchers. No amount of summer sunshine (what little we have had over the last two years at any rate) seems to make a difference. I had a brief discussion with Manders a while back and deliberately moved the plant to a relatively exposed position to see if there was an effect. Only one upper pitcher out of twenty or so I have had was colored in the same manner as the lower ones, which is as I understand it the 'norm'.... Any ideas? experience? Just curious.

Leo

Hi Leo,

Sounds like a good excuse for me to post an old photo (from 2005) :smile:

3980502601_5be6aa53ae_o.jpg

I don't know if there is more than one clone around, but having moved house since the photo was taken, and after a series of bad summers, i've never had the same colouration since. I actually lost this plant a year or two ago. All the gentles i've owned have been male. The plant in the photo was getting full sun, nearly all day and most of the summer (2005), and that year was hot enough for the plants to flower outside.

I hope you had cuttings from it. What a beautiful plant!

I have photos of green uppers somewhere in the pile.... will dig up...

When you say you never had the colouration since do you mean they came out green or just less vividly blotched?

Leo

Edited by Leo

• 3 weeks later...

My gentle is flowering at the moment and is a girl.

daan

Hi Leo,

Sounds like a good excuse for me to post an old photo (from 2005) :sun_bespectacled:

3980502601_5be6aa53ae_o.jpg

I don't know if there is more than one clone around, but having moved house since the photo was taken, and after a series of bad summers, i've never had the same colouration since. I actually lost this plant a year or two ago. All the gentles i've owned have been male. The plant in the photo was getting full sun, nearly all day and most of the summer (2005), and that year was hot enough for the plants to flower outside.

Dan asked me to post his photos, so here goes

4120258992_937e15228d_b.jpg

4120258364_4c90a7ff24_b.jpg

4119482513_49a4cc54c8_b.jpg

It does look very much like my gentle's, the pitchers look redder than on my plant (mine are usually a very dark colour). I've seen this reddish colour on other gentle photos also and maybe that's a way to distinguish this female clone from the male clone.

So we now know that there are at least two similar but different clones around under the name 'gentle'.

BTW deroose don't seem to list gentle anymore.

Today i got pollen from jelle from Belgium. He had a male gentle-clone flowering.

daan

Dan asked me to post his photos, so here goes

4120258992_937e15228d_b.jpg

4120258364_4c90a7ff24_b.jpg

4119482513_49a4cc54c8_b.jpg

It does look very much like my gentle's, the pitchers look redder than on my plant (mine are usually a very dark colour). I've seen this reddish colour on other gentle photos also and maybe that's a way to distinguish this female clone from the male clone.

So we now know that there are at least two similar but different clones around under the name 'gentle'.

BTW deroose don't seem to list gentle anymore.

Today i got pollen from jelle from Belgium. He had a male gentle-clone flowering.

daan

Daan,

Would be interesting to see seedlings of this cross, in theory you will get plants that are similar to both parents (fusca & maxima?) and everything in between!

Edited by manders

Yeah, I was going to mention that. According to Mendelian genetics, (if these plants followed those theories, but they don't), you should get a small percentage of true N. maxima and true N. fusca (assuming those were the original parents). Wiki has a good write-up on Mendelian Genetics for those who are not familiar with these concepts. Most likely, you'll get a bunch of plants that look very similar to these plants with some degree of variability. It's amazing to see how close this plant resembles the form of N. maxima once known as "N. curtisii". There is another hybrid involving N. mixta (N. northiana x N. maxima) and N. maxima, which are called something else. - Rich

Edited by rsivertsen

This is full color plant :) if there is less light it's look like dann's nepenthes

It looks 'similar' but not the same. All 'Gentle' I've seen (including mine) have a brown peristome not a red one (even in full sun). The lid of yours looks a little bit wide and doesn't look like it has the appendage at the tip, and just something about the mouth and peristome shape looks wrong.

• 11 years later...

Green x 'Gentle' update.  2020 - 

Somewhere in 1999 I purchased a plant labelled N. 'gentle' at a disconuted price and nursed it back to health . It turned out to be two plants (one female and one male). The upper pitchers of the female were solid green (see beginning of the thread) . I crossed them and got viable seed. Of the dozen or so seedlings, two survive to this day. They were grown in the same pot since 2010 under artificial lights. The difference is striking even though the green pitcher is not totally green. Neither parent had green bottom pitchers and both in the care of Matt Richardson since 2010 (last time I was in touch he told me the plants were tough as old boots and doing well). The green story continues....

20201225_132112.jpg

20201225_132122.jpg