Needing to repot

Username

Ok, so I have two VFTs that seriously need repotting. They are both quite root bound, the traps are eating each other and I can't get to all the dead traps because the live ones are in the way.

So they need to be repotted, but I've never done that with VFTs before (actually, should probably also do it with my sarra). I wondered if you could help.

First thing, I think, is getting peat moss. I have none, although I think I still have perlite. I've been looking around on here, and it seems that Wyevale still stocks something that CPs can grow in - some sort of moss peat. I wondered if any of you could tell me:

a) Is it any good?

b) Before I get on the train then walk 1 1/2 miles, does the Wyevale at Hare Hatch stock any?

c) If this type isn't good enough, are their any garden centres within walking distance or public transport accesible that stock a useable material?

Thank you. I'll ask about what you actually do with the plants once I've got potting material.

There's not much point in repotting now as the plants are going into dormancy, leave it till mid March. Regarding potting media,you mention only three plants.You may as well get a bag of ready made media from any of the well known CP suppliers i.e Triffid Nurseries. Seeing as you say the plants are root bound, obviously choose a much bigger deeper pot. By the sound of it your VFTs could probably be divided into a few more plants :read: .

Is your avatar a photo of your plants? If so, there are indeed several plants in the pot, but it does not look overly crowded. I agree that it would be best to wait until early spring to repot. Repotting just as the plant is entering dormancy is more risky than waiting until it is coming out of dormancy and is ready to start growing again.

Where in berkshire are you?

Im pretty sure wyvale wont have any sphagnum peat. But there is a few other garden centres near hare hatch, there is that big one on the A4 but im not sure what its called they more likely to have something.

They definatly have shamrock peat at Henery st garden centre in Aborfield.

And as bob said it is probally best to wait untill spring, if your plants have been potted all this time they should be fine untill then.

And within walking distance of where?

There's not much point in repotting now as the plants are going into dormancy, leave it till mid March. Regarding potting media,you mention only three plants.You may as well get a bag of ready made media from any of the well known CP suppliers i.e Triffid Nurseries. Seeing as you say the plants are root bound, obviously choose a much bigger deeper pot. By the sound of it your VFTs could probably be divided into a few more plants :( .

Oh, I thought you were meant to repot when they were dormant. So you are meant to repot when they are wakig up?

Is your avatar a photo of your plants? If so, there are indeed several plants in the pot, but it does not look overly crowded. I agree that it would be best to wait until early spring to repot. Repotting just as the plant is entering dormancy is more risky than waiting until it is coming out of dormancy and is ready to start growing again.

My avatar is a photo of one of my plants, but from a while ago. It is much more crowded now - the new traps often trigger the old ones and I can't cut all the dead material for sake of not triggering too many live traps.

Where in berkshire are you?

Im pretty sure wyvale wont have any sphagnum peat. But there is a few other garden centres near hare hatch, there is that big one on the A4 but im not sure what its called they more likely to have something.

They definatly have shamrock peat at Henery st garden centre in Aborfield.

And as bob said it is probally best to wait untill spring, if your plants have been potted all this time they should be fine untill then.

And within walking distance of where?

I'm in Reading, but can quite easily get a train to Wargrave (to walk to Hare Hatch).

I saw on Googlemaps that there were a bunch of garden centres around there. Do you think I should go anyway and have a look in all of them?

Is there a train to Arbofield?

And if you mean where my house is within walking distance of, not that many places really. The bus into town is 20 minutes. I'm right at the bottom of the south of Reading, so could walk south a bit - I know where the bridge to cross the motorway is. I think I cold comfortably walk ~2 miles, maybe a bit more. So I don't think there are any garden centres I can walk to.

Well there is no train to Aborfield but its only a 10 minute drive from Reading a bus would get you there.

you could get a train to wargrave or twyford but it would leave you with a long walk.. especially with a 100litres of peat under your arm.lol.

Try ringing them first to make sure they have what you want.

I have 95 litres of peat to sell for a few quid but after the discussions weve had about it in the FAQ section youd not want it.

Plus you may jsut be better off repotting them in the spring. Get some long thin sissors to trim any old traps.im sure you could do it without setting off any more traps.

Get some photos up.

Ok, I'll try and put up photos tomorrow.

I can't drive, but what bus could take me to Arbofield? I don't think I need quite 100 litres! Would they do it in smaller sizes?

I think I will wait until spring, and get some long scissors.

Thanks for the help.