Growing with a single lamp MH250W - no terrarium

kalte-sterne

Hi to all ! In last years I was growing my Neps in classical method: a lowland terrarium and an highland one.

But this time I want to try (after some discussions with friends growing in this way) something else.

I've bought a MH (Metal Halide) lamp for 250 W, and nothing else as artificial lights.

All plants are together (lowland with highland) under this lamp.

The lamp is distant far from the apix of the plants +/- 45 cm

In a little room, where during the day I have 23/27 °C and in the night 18/20 °C

I provide to humidity with a mist maker, working 10 minutes each hour.

Humidity 55/70 %

Here is a photo:

MH250W_01.jpg

What do you think about this way of growing ?

Someone else do that ?

Some tips ?

Thank you very much !

cheers

Not sure how well H/L & L/L will get on under the same conditions - I guess it all depends on what the LL are and the individual plants. That's not too different to how I grow my H/L Neps, except I don't need a fogger. You could perhaps do with out it, by standing the neps on gravel (or live sphag moss) in the tray, which you could then keep permanently damp. They would probably benefit from good air movement, try installing a small PC fan.

All you can really do is try it, but keep a close eye on those LL.

Thank you for your kind answers ! Respect to the photo here linked, I've installed a PC fan working together with the fogger, 10' each hour.

I've put gravel on the tray too, but humidity don't seems to grow. I've probably to isolate more all the plants, maybe with plexiglass around them.

Lowlander I have are: bical, albomarginata, rafflesiana, truncata, ampullaria, gracilis.

All the rest was intermediate / highland

I know the better is to divide them, but I'm trying this and I 'd like to know if someone else have maybe tried :)

Of the ones you mention, truncata, rafflesiana, bical, and maybe ampullaria should be ok, although you may not get much growth from the amp, they grow like a rocket if you keep them at 26-28C. I have had major problems trying to grow albomarginata and some gracilis clones at cooler temps, some have really struggled to grow without true lowland conditions.

The only way to know for sure it to try it...

Hello Beppe, I think you have intermediate conditions, and probably neither true lowlanders nor true highlanders will thrive, but I think they all can survive quite well, if individuals are healthy and not too much stressed. 18/20° are sufficient as minimum temperatures for many lowland nepenthes... probably not as cold as needed for some highland (if you grow some extreme ones you will definitely have some problems), but you can try.

Probably some plants will manage to adapt themselves to these conditions, and grow well. Among the species you've mentioned, I think albomarginata, gracilis and maybe rafflesiana could do well; I find that my albomarginata from BE is thriving in every condition, from pure lowland to extreme highland...(now it's into my greenhouse, with temperatures near to 0°.. but it won't stay there any longer :tongue: )! Where does your clone come from?

Of the ones you mention, truncata, rafflesiana, bical, and maybe ampullaria should be ok, although you may not get much growth from the amp, they grow like a rocket if you keep them at 26-28C. I have had major problems trying to grow albomarginata and some gracilis clones at cooler temps, some have really struggled to grow without true lowland conditions.

The only way to know for sure it to try it...

I agree on this. The true lowlands need over 25°C at day. I've got a room for lowland and intermediates and one for the highlanders.