D. schwackei again in flower

Hi all,

finally i´ve finished with all my work at the university and now i´ve again more time for my plants and for taking pictures. :nyam1:

A few weeks ago my biggest D. schwackei ´Diamantina, Minas Gerais, Brazil´ has started to flower; last year it flowered for me for it´s first time, i has had 3 flowers, but selfing two of them has not worked for any reason.

This year i´ve seen the first four flowers not fully opened when returning home, but perhaps i´ll have more luck with the last one. In the moment it has an 1,5cm stem, with the erect leafes it´s about 3,5cm high and it´s diameter is about 3-4cm.

Here are some pictures from last year: http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?s...mp;hl=schwackei

And here are the new pictures, i hope you´ll like them.

D. schwackei ´Diamantina, Minas Gerais, Brazil´

P1090545a.jpg

P1090548a.jpg

P1090550a.jpg

P1090563a.jpg

P1090615a.jpg

P1090823a.jpg

:biggrin:

P1090671a.jpg

hungy plant :D

P1090947a.jpg

and now the flowers

P1100018a.jpg

P1090949a.jpg

P1100014a.jpg

P1100009a.jpg

P1100011a.jpg

P1090886a.jpg

the closing flower

P1100063a.jpg

U. nephrophylla x U. geminiloba

P1090915a.jpg

P1090909a.jpg

P1090913a.jpg

and here is something else, it has a flat rosette, not erect leafes like D. schwackei, but it´s still relatively small (sorry, not the best pictures)

P1100129a.jpg

P1100081a.jpg

Best regards,

Dani

Edited by Daniel O.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mr. Night owl :morning2: ,

Great to see your D.swackei back !!! :tu:

Even more beautiful like last year , hopefully more

succes with the seeds.Good luck!!

Regards,

Iggy

Many thanks to all of you. :yes:

Iggy, i hope it too, thanks again :thumright: .

Sebulon, no, they are not growing in a terrarium like almost all my Drosera, except the petiolaris-complex Drosera. They are growing in open trays.

Here are some pictures from a part of my setup: http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?s...07&hl=setup

dudo, i hope i´ll have seed this time.

Many thanks for your wishes about my PhD, it´s finally finished and now i´ve to find any work.

I´ll contact Adam these days.

Carlos :biggrin: , how are you doing? I´ve not heard anything from you for a longer time.

Sebastian, have you received my last message.

Best regards,

Dani

Wow, you have a super detup! It's so well organized and everything. :biggrin:

Greetings,

Jarkko

Sebulon, no, they are not growing in a terrarium like almost all my Drosera, except the petiolaris-complex Drosera. They are growing in open trays.

Here are some pictures from a part of my setup: http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?s...07&hl=setup

Best regards,

Dani

I just remembered something... And I've probably asked you before, please forgive me if I have! :)

Interesting that you mention that it didn't set seed... Have you ever been able to get seeds from your D.schwackei? I remember Thomas Carow's plant, which he had for over a decade (and maybe still has), would flower every year but never set seed. This led me to believe it was a sterile hybrid until I finally rediscovered D.schwackei in the wild in 1997.

There are always plenty of seed in the wild. I wonder why it's so finicky at making seed in cultivation... None of the S.American Drosera seem to target specialized pollinators, only generalist ones. I think they're probably all good at self-pollinating too. I wonder if D.schwackei is not -- or if in cultivation something is simply keeping them from accepting pollen (like high humidity)?

Best wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia

Many thanks again. :yes:

Fernando, first, you have not asked about the pollination "problems" before. :wink:

Last year i´ve selfed the first two flowers, but perhaps the pollen was not that fluffy like this year. Through a lense it looked as if the stigma have been covered with pollen, but nothing happened.

Till now it´s the first south american species that has not produced any seed nethertheless it has been pollinated by myself.

The third and last flower i´ve pollinated with pollen of D. tomentosa var. tomentosa and the result is visible in the last two pictures (a plant with non erect leafes but with the colouration of D. schwackei). But till now it´s not adult, it´s only 1,7cm in diameter.

So it seems to accept pollen, but somehow not it´s own.

I´ve taken also the pollen from the last D. schwackei flower to pollinate D. ascendens and D. tomentosa var. tomentosa; both "?crossings?" have germinated and now i´ve nearly adult plants, but they are looking very similar to their "motherplants". In the first case the leafes are wider than normally in D. ascendens, but till now this is the only difference so i´m not really sure if the crossings have worked (there have been only very small amounts on seed).

Perhaps it will be visible if the "new D. ascendens" at once have hairy flower scapes. In case of D. tomentosa it will be more difficult to say if it has worked because of the hairy flower scapes of D. tomentosa.

If these crossings should have worked than there is the old problem: Why has it not worked with selfing D. schwackei last year. :wink:

All other south american Drosera species are not making any problems at all, even such species like D. meristocaulis, D. arenicola, D. graomogolensis or some location forms of D. roraimae (not all of them). In all these cases you have to pollinate them by yourself otherwise there will be no or only very small amounts on seed. But this probably has to do with the bigger difference in the length between the stamen and stigma so when the flower is closing at evening they are not pollinated automatically, so they seem to be self-fertile ("faculatative autogamous" like D. graomogolensis, D. slackii, D. cistiflora,...).

I don´t think the humidity is too high. All my Drosera (except petiolaris-complex Drosera) are growing in open trays, not in terrariums, so the humidity is not very high above the plants and as you know the flower scapes of this species are relatively long. Additionally there is always air movement because of slightely opened windows (permanetly).

But perhaps it´s also a result of invitro-propagation like in the case of D. yutajensis (D. spec. Duida).

Tomorrow the last flower will open, so there is a new chance. :wink:

Best regards,

Dani

Edited by Daniel O.

Hey Dani,

Thanks for your lengthy reply! So it sounds like the stigmas may be working fine, but the pollen is somehow not working right. Thomas Carow's plat was not from tissue culture, so I suspect there is just something finicky about the pollen production in this species.

>The third and last flower i´ve pollinated with pollen of D. tomentosa var. tomentosa and the result is visible in the last two pictures (a plant with non erect leafes but with the colouration of D. schwackei). But till now it´s not adult, it´s only 1,7cm in diameter.

Cool, so that's what that plant is! :) Can't wait to see it when it matures!! Andreas F. claims to have made some interesting hybrids between S.American Drosera (or using them and species from elsewhere), but I have yet to see pics of mature plants.

It's interesting that at least some of these seem to be able to make hybrids in cultivation, but don't seem to do so in the wild, although their pollinators seem to be generalists... Well, maybe the original native bees were not generalists pollinators, but the introduced honeybees may be the cause of some of the hybridization we see today (for example D.tomentosa X grantsaui, hirtella X lutescens, lutescens X communis, U.praelonga X hispida, etc.). Who knows??

Best wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia

Many thanks Stefano and Anderson.:oops:

Here is a new picture from the last flower; in this case the flower has been almost fully opened because of the shorter distance to the lights.

P1100140a.jpg

Fernando, yes, the stigmas seem to work fine, but perhaps also the pollen, if the crossing with D. ascendens and the reciprocal crossing with D. tomentosa should have worked. In the case with D. ascendens it could have worked because the slightely difference in the appearance of the resulting plants.

Cool, so that's what that plant is! :) Can't wait to see it when it matures!! Andreas F. claims to have made some interesting hybrids between S.American Drosera (or using them and species from elsewhere), but I have yet to see pics of mature plants.

Yes, i hope that it will be a fast grower, most of the other seedlings are still very small, but are growing without any problems.

I´ve heard that Andreas has tried/done crossings, i´ve also tried some crossings between south american and african species. Some of them have also germinated but they are still very small.

Really interesting about the introduced honeybees, really a possibility.

I don´t remember if i´ve asked this in the past, are these hybrids you´ve mentioned producing viable seed?

A little bit offtopic, but here are some pictures of the "possible hybrid" with D. ascendens as the motherplant.

The leafes are wider, the part of the leaf with due is longer and there are nearly no stipules visible like normally in D. ascendens. But they have waved leafes too.

The first three pictures are showing these plants.

P1100171a.jpg

P1100185a.jpg

not so dark red coloured

P1100175a.jpg

The last two pictures are showing the "normal" D. ascendens ´Pico da Bandeira, Parque Nacional do Caparaó, Espírito Santo, Brazil´ with the waved and narrow leafes. For my sadness i´ve not been very successful in removing the stamen of D. ascendens, so there are also "real" D. ascendens in the same pot.

P1100177a.jpg

P1100178a.jpg

What do you mean, has the crossing worked or is it just species variation?

Best regards,

Dani

Carlos :banging: , how are you doing? I´ve not heard anything from you for a longer time.

I make ... ... thesis (more three years :oops: )

But I will post new pictures of utricularia, comming soon!

My best regards.

Carlos.

P.S. All your pings seeds born, thanks!

Hi Carlos :man_in_love: ,

so you have also a lot to do like me before. I´ve finally finished it.

Yeah, i´m looking forward to see new pics from you.

Good to hear that all Pinguicula species have germinated.

BTW, have you received my last letter with G. subglabra?

Best regards,

Dani

Wow, tell me more about this D.ascendens hybrid! So you don't know what the other parent is? I would guess D.tomentosa or D.montana. It's very nice!! As for the hybrids I've seen in the wild, I don't believe they're fertile, but not entirely sure...

Best wishes,

Fernando

Many thanks Aymeric. :heart:

Fernando, i know exactely what the other parent is. :thumright:

I´ve pollinated it with pollen from D. schwackei (D. ascendens x schwackei). So it seems that the pollen from my D. schwackei is principally OK.

Another reason why i´m wondering that selfing D. schwackei has not worked last year.

Perhaps i´ll have more luck this year.

Best regards,

Dani

Yeah, i´m looking forward to see new pics from you.

Comming soon, one month for flowers :thumright:

Good to hear that all Pinguicula species have germinated.

Little beaulties, I need a lot of pots:sun_bespectacled:

BTW, have you received my last letter with G. subglabra?

Yes, yes, I waiting for seedlings, thanks again.

Ah, I saw your Drosera ascendens, great plants ... ... my plants are different,

I think is because of the light. :heart:

Hi Carlos,

really good to hear that so many Pinguicula seedlings have made it and that the seed of G. subglabra has arrived. :thumright:

So fare as i know you are also growing D. ascendens from ´Pico da Bandeira´, are your plants totally different in comparison to the last 2 pictures i´ve shown. All my real D. ascendens from this location have these waved leafes. Till now i´ve seen these waved leafes only by plants from this location.

The first 3 pictures should look different to the real one; the leafes are wider, the part of the leaf with due is longer, there are much smalller stipules visible like normally in D. ascendens and their rosettes are a little bit more flat and additionally they seem to have more active leafes.

But you are right, the light i´m giving them is really strong, i´ve also plants of this species that are not so deep red coloured because of the bigger distance to the lights.

Best regards,

Dani