Recommened Nepenthes

Hi,

I already have a N x Ventrata that is still very small with the biggest cup being 3 cm. I want to get another Nepenthes but I am not sure what would be the best one. I know N x Ventrata are good for beginners as the do not require and special care besides the obvious. I would like a Nepethes that requires little humidty and would grow well in a shaded windowsill. My Hardiness zone is zone 9 and it will be grown indoors on a windowsill as I said.

What Nepenthes would you recommend ?

3cm seems pretty small still - most ventratas are sent out as a decent size since they're so easily available!! You mention its a shady windowstill, does it get any direct light? How many hours per day of direct/indirect light?? If your ventrata isnt growing and is staying that small it may not be getting enough light......and if the ventrata isnt that happy then it will be even more difficult to keep other neps happy there. They do like a decent amount of light to grow well. Ofcourse if you did get it as a really really small plant and it is growing well and increasing in size then the light might not be as mad as I'm imagining.......small ventrata and shady windowsill just sound a bit worrying.....

Do you have any info on the min and max temps??

Heather

you can always try nep alata they are very easy to grow and will grow happy on a window sill. you can always find them at a gardencenter.

you can try nep sanguinea thats a very nice plant that will grow well on a window sill also.

one more plant that some one i know is growing it indoors. is nep. maxima

and its quiet happy. anyway try these. i can not think of anymore at this time.

i hope thats a help to you.

cheers djh. :cool:

Edited by djh

My small Ventrata isn't the issue here but it was purchased from a garden centre about 4 months ago and was small then but has since doubled in size and grew 3 or for pitches. They are not big because the plant itself is not big compared to some monsters I have seen in flower shops and on the net. I did notice that it grew alot faster when it was getting direct sunlight but it still seems to grow well in indirect sunlight next to my computer, anyway my question is what Nepenthes grows well in low humidity such as the Ventrata as I can not give it any really special care. I think a "low-lander" rather than a "high-lander" would be a good idea but what one ??? :)

Many nepenthes will grow very well in windowsills with the exceptions of those needing high temperatures (true lowlanders) and those needing cold night temperatures, (ultra-highlanders). The vast majority of intermediates and most highlanders will grow very well. Generally, Lowlanders from the Philippines seems to cope better with cooler temps than other lowlanders.

In my bedroom window at the moment, I have Boschiana, Tobaica, Reinwardtiana, Bokorensis, Hirsuta, Macrovulgaris and one very large Merriliana, although that one is sadly without pitchers at the moment, the rest are pitchering nicely.

Other Nepenthes that will quite happily grow and pitcher and Truncata (highland or lowland), Copellandii, Sanguinea, Burkei, Singalana, and the two commonly found in Garden centres 'Gentle' and 'Miranda' (alata is actually Ventrata 99.9% of the time). Maxima & spathulata will also grow ok and probably veitchii. There are probably a few others which escape my memory. All of the ones mentioned will grow and pitcher in a peat based mix.

The ones I haven't mentioned are the ones I have found are more problematic, either needing different compost, or more humidity or just generally slower / more awkward to grow, but i'm sure someone will correct me if i've missed a few of the easy ones.

Many nepenthes will grow very well in windowsills with the exceptions of those needing high temperatures (true lowlanders) and those needing cold night temperatures, (ultra-highlanders). The vast majority of intermediates and most highlanders will grow very well. Generally, Lowlanders from the Philippines seems to cope better with cooler temps than other lowlanders.

In my bedroom window at the moment, I have Boschiana, Tobaica, Reinwardtiana, Bokorensis, Hirsuta, Macrovulgaris and one very large Merriliana, although that one is sadly without pitchers at the moment, the rest are pitchering nicely.

Other Nepenthes that will quite happily grow and pitcher are Truncata (highland or lowland), Copellandii, Sanguinea, Burkei, Singalana, and the two commonly found in Garden centres 'Gentle' and 'Miranda' (alata is actually Ventrata 99.9% of the time). Maxima & spathulata will also grow ok and probably veitchii. There are probably a few others which escape my memory. All of the ones mentioned will grow and pitcher in a peat based mix.

The ones I haven't mentioned are the ones I have found are more problematic, either needing different compost, or more humidity or just generally slower / more awkward to grow, but i'm sure someone will correct me if i've missed a few of the easy ones.

Other Nepenthes that will quite happily grow and pitcher are Truncata (highland or lowland), Copellandii, Sanguinea, Burkei, Singalana, and the two commonly found in Garden centres 'Gentle' and 'Miranda' (alata is actually Ventrata 99.9% of the time). Maxima & spathulata will also grow ok and probably veitchii. There are probably a few others which escape my memory. All of the ones mentioned will grow and pitcher in a peat based mix.

Thank you :cool:

Edited by GreenCurry