NEW Pinguicula hybrid...

Drosera5150

Hello Friends,

Well, after a year and a half of waiting and keeping my fingers crossed, I'm pleased to introduce to you my new Pinguicula hybrid; P. macrophylla X P. AnPa D. or soon to be called "P. X Cherri Baby" :)

And....here she is!

651697350_Zeso9-X2.jpg

And for the sake of easy comparison, here's the parents in smaller photo size;

The flower of P. AnPa D;

651697396_8rtSW-L.jpg

651697427_cxpDs-XL.jpg

Here's the leaves and rosette of P. AnPa D. Notice the dark reddish "cherry" tint;

651697329_x8r7o-XL.jpg

Next, introducing P. macrophylla;

651697389_scJbe-XL.jpg

Leaves and rosette of P. macrophylla;

651697343_2KhKj-XL.jpg

And last but not least, The leaves, flowers and rosette of the hybrid! The "cherry" tint to the leaves is passed from the P. AnPa D parent. Also, both parental traits are clearly visable in the hybrid's flower and leaf shape...

651697307_kBUJ4-XL.jpg

651697454_HKkW3-XL.jpg

651759791_DRJTG-X2.jpg

Happy Growing,

Brian.

Congrats on the new hybrid Brian! And also on the really nice P.macrophylla, which is not too common in cultivation. I didn't remember what this ANPA plant was, so I went to look it up and found some interesting info:

http://www.pinguicula.org/pages/plantes/pinguicula_ANPA.htm

Apparently it has been in cultivation for quite a while and I am surprised that it hasn't been assigned a species name yet. It seems to me to be a smaller narrower-leaved P.moranensis, is it not? I see it was collected near Molango, Hidalgo state, where other populations are know of small P.moranensis are known to grow:

http://www.pinguicula.org/A_world_of_Pingu...ostcard_6_1.htm

This ANPA plant seems to be a lighter-colored flower form of the plants I saw in the link above.

Anybody have more info on these plants?

Best wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia

Good job Brian! I also really like crossing plants, but all my plants seem to flower at the wrong time. :D Im trying to cross my Pinguicula x 'Tina' with Pinguicula emarginata, but the flower of emarginata developes maybe too slowly.

Greetings,

Jarkko

Hi Fernando and Jarkko,

Thanks for the kind words! :wub:

Fernando,

Here's a good link showing the flowers of the four various "AnPa" forms. I think it is in the Czech language;

http://www.freewebs.com/trainxpress/pinguiculaspanpa.htm

In my opinion, P. AnPa D and the other P. AnPa forms are very comparable to the various forms of P. moranensis that I've grown over the years, just smaller leaves and flowers. However, they do seem much more picky about dormancy requirements than most P. moranensis in my experience and are much less forgiving in cultivation unless dormancy requirements are strictly met.

Fernando, do you know if the ranges of P. macrophylla and any of the P. AnPa forms cross anywhere 'in situ'?

Jarkko,

In my opinion, the size of the pollen greatly dictates whether or not a Pinguicula is accepting of hybridization. Plus, I believe that some hybrids are totally sterile, especially if they consisit of multiple parentages, be it known or unknown.

For example, multiple efforts by myself to backcross my hybrid (which would have made P. AnPa D X P. macrophylla) failed miserably! Upon inspection with a 30X hand-lens, the P. macrophylla pollen appeared much larger than that of P. AnPa D...which would explain why the stigma couldn't handle it, so to speak. :D

Happy Growing to all,

Brian.

Jarkko,

In my opinion, the size of the pollen greatly dictates whether or not a Pinguicula is accepting of hybridization. Plus, I believe that some hybrids are totally sterile, especially if they consisit of multiple parentages, be it known or unknown.

For example, multiple efforts by myself to backcross my hybrid (which would have made P. AnPa D X P. macrophylla) failed miserably! Upon inspection with a 30X hand-lens, the P. macrophylla pollen appeared much larger than that of P. AnPa D...which would explain why the stigma couldn't handle it, so to speak. :smile:

Happy Growing to all,

Brian.

Oh, sounds pretty strange! :biggrin: I haven't inspected the pollen that carefully, so I can't say if that's the reason. Interesting...

• 2 months later...

Hello Friends,

Alas!

Finally some definitive flower characteristics that clearly show influences from both plants involved in the hybrid cross;

731465351_wwsa2-XL.jpg

This flower is strongly influenced by the Pinguicula 'AnPa D' parent;

731465357_q9AWx-XL.jpg

And this one leans strongly towards the Pinguicula macrophyllaparent;

731465377_kYgb5-XL.jpg

Also, the leaves are still retaining their light cherry-tinted margins (P. AnPa D) and the extreme width of the P. macrophylla parent.

731465387_X5Wok-XL.jpg

Happy Growing....and Holidays to All,

Brian.