Drosera amazonica

Dear Drosera-lovers,

Fernando’s amazing new discovery (see this thread: New Drosera species from the Amazon) from the Amazon lowlands of Brazil now finally got named officially:

Drosera amazonica – the Amazon sundew!

The article was published in the latest issue of the journal Ecotropica:

“Rivadavia, F., Vicentini, A. & Fleischmann, A., 2009. A new species of sundew (Drosera, Droseraceae), with water-dispersed seed, from the floodplains of the northern Amazon basin, Brazil. Ecotropica 15: 13-21.”

It will be available for free download on their homepage in three years. However I will provide a free pdf-version of the original article on my university homepage in a few days as well, as soon as I got certain about my copyrights. I just want to change the botanical line drawing first, because a preliminary drawing (lacking proper scale bars and without indicating letters) appeared in the print version and pdf of the journal. ;) I will post the direct link to the pdf-file here as soon as I have fixed the botanical drawing...

Photos and information on the plant in its natural habitat can be read in Fernando’s original report on CP UK forum (see above link) and in the species' description.

And here are two photos of plants of D. amazonica in cultivation, raised from seed (thanks again Fernando!) to flowering plants in less than 12 months! This plant does not only remind me of D. roraimae or D. felix (or maybe even some stunted D. intermedia), it also shares their vigour and fast growth. Luckily it seems D. amazonica is a rather easy grower, providing warm temperatures and general Drosera needs (especially good light intensity and qualitiy!). It grows well in milled sphagnum:sand mix or peat:sand-mix in tray system (keep it very wet!) both in my hot greenhouse and under artificial lights (T5-bulbs) in a terrarium. I would guess if you are able to grow D. roraimae or D. felix successfully, you’ll be able to grow D. amazonica as well.

Damazonica_01.jpg

Note the short scape of the almost sessile single flower, which is typical for this species. The flowers are sweetly parfumed (like those of D. arenicola, for example).

Damazonica_02.jpg

Unfortunately I do neither have spare seed nor spare plants at the moment to share, but have already spread it to several experienced sundew growers around the world for further propagation and distribution.

All the best,

Andreas

Congratulations again, Andreas and Fernando. :sad:

Nice to hear that it seem to be an easy growing species. It´s really relatively similar to D. roraimae.

And the fact that the flowers are sweetly parfumed is also interesting, i really like the smell of D. arenicola.

The pollinators in nature are living very dangerous with these very short flower stalks.

BTW, very nice pictures.

Best regards,

Dani

Wow that´s super

Yesterday, I sent photo with comment to competition and I wrote there:

There are still found new and new species of sundews

I am glad i was right

Hi Andreas,

Fantastic news that there are still new plants being discovered !!!

Thanks to people like Fernando ,you and many others who do

the effort in taking difficult journeys to find them ,

discribe them and combine all the knowledge in books and publications.

I wish you guy's the best of luck for the future.

Greetz Tim c

Ps: Thank you for the nice conversation on the EEE 2009 and compliments for the South-African drosera display wich Iggy

constructed with our collection

Hello all,

The original article (including the corrected line drawing) can be found as a free pdf for download at:

http://www.botanik.biologie.uni-muenchen.d...09_modified.pdf

The file is a bit large, thus download may tike a while.

All the best,

Andreas

Thanks everyone for the nice comments! I just wanted to say that it was thanks to Andreas that this new species was published so quickly and that the paper looks so "professional", not being a mere species description. And the other author, Alberto, gave a tremendous contribution through his vast knowledge of Amazonian habitats and in bringing to light the collection from the 2nd known site of D.amazonica -- not to mention that it was thanks to him that I finally pinpointed the exact location of the 1st population, after years of fruitless research in maps & literature. It was a great team to work with! ;)

Best wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia

Very cool! cute little things.

I was wondering what happened to this spcs when i saw your old posts ;)

Thanks everyone for the nice comments! I just wanted to say that it was thanks to Andreas that this new species was published so quickly and that the paper looks so "professional", not being a mere species description. And the other author, Alberto, gave a tremendous contribution through his vast knowledge of Amazonian habitats and in bringing to light the collection from the 2nd known site of D.amazonica -- not to mention that it was thanks to him that I finally pinpointed the exact location of the 1st population, after years of fruitless research in maps & literature. It was a great team to work with! ;)

Best wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've just found the time to read the paper and I must say that it was truly fascinating. It is, as Fernando already underlined, not only a taxonomic description. The ecological notes are really informative.

Congratulations to the three of you!

I really enjoyed it - and learned a lot.

François.

Realy beautifull plant. Erected aspect, red colour, only one big flower as D.solaris... lovely ! Better if it is the same cultivation than D.felix !

Do you know when we will be able to find it (plant or seeds ?)

Olivier.

PS : thanks to Andreas, Fernando and Alberto.

Edited by oliv-666